What do you call this part of a mannequin?

Warren Smith

Sep 3, 2022, 2:52:25 PM9/3/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com

This patent on sanitary napkins (and equipment for testing them) is really a pain in the 腰部!

What do we call this part in English?

可動式女性腰部モデル

Moveable model of the female lower torso?

Movable model of the female pelvic region?

https://blog.mannequinmadness.com/2010/08/mannequin-terminology/ gives the term "Body trunk" for this, but that does not seem right to me.

image001.gif

John Stroman

Sep 3, 2022, 4:23:59 PM9/3/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Warren,
Since you have a diagram, does 90 refer to 腰部 in the application? I would simply go with "hips" in the vernacular or "pelvic region" in more technical language.

It seems to correspond to "pelvic area" on this Staford medical site.

John Stroman

Warren Smith

Sep 3, 2022, 4:42:50 PM9/3/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Thanks. Yes, 90 is the 可動式女性腰部モデル.

I think I am leaning towards the "pelvic region." Because this model is for testing a sanitary napkin, "hips" (or worse yet, "lumbar region"!) doesn't work.

I have never fully understood the semantic scope of  腰部. I don't like this word much -- it does not map well into English....

Thanks for your help, John.

John Stroman

Sep 3, 2022, 4:48:52 PM9/3/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Warren,

I agree. Just as an aside, lumbar refers specifically to the mobile region of the lower spine. Even the tailbone (sacrum) is usually excluded since it is basically immobile.

John

Herman

Sep 3, 2022, 5:46:24 PM9/3/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com
I think the most accurate equivalent for 腰部 in this case would be
"waist and hips".

Herman Kahn

Katy Bridges

Sep 4, 2022, 2:02:28 PM9/4/22
to Honyaku E<>J translation list
Well, not all words map well into English. In the case of sanitary napkin modeling, I think John's "pelvic region" is the best choice.

Katy Bridges