Nerdish question: D&D or MORPG (Fantasy Role Playing Game) 対決バトル

Warren Smith

Oct 3, 2019, 1:14:49 PM10/3/19
to hon...@googlegroups.com

対決バトル

Is this what my kids have called a "random encounter"? A "boss battle"? Or just "a battle that one encounters." Or perhaps "encounter/battle"?

Sorry -- no real context aside from this is something you would run into during a role playing game...

(I have an embarrassingly complete knowledge of the subject area in English, but have never explored it in Japanese, so don't know how this maps to the concepts I know in English...)

Any nerds out there who have seen how this term is used in Japanese?

Warren

--------------------

Dr. Warren Smith

JETS: Japanese-English Technology Services

JapanesePatentTranslation.com

warren...@comcast.net

John Stroman

Oct 3, 2019, 1:37:01 PM10/3/19
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Warren,
I'm not a gamer, but to me the connotation of  対決 is not a random encounter. It's a head-on, face-to-face confrontation of the two primary characters in a drama. Imagine the hero and the villain in a Western movie facing off in the middle of a dusty street with everybody else running for cover.  (Or if you prefer, Miyamoto Musashi and Sasaki Kojiro at Ganryu-jima). Mano el mano?
John Stroman
----------------

Warren Smith

Oct 3, 2019, 1:45:08 PM10/3/19
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, John.

So a "one-on-one battle"? (This would make sense, as many of the screen shots are suspiciously like Pokemon Go, where all battles are one-on-one...)

Appreciate it.

Warren

BJ Beauchamp

Oct 3, 2019, 2:06:12 PM10/3/19
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Warren,

For what it's worth, there are no random encounters in D&D. It's either just a monster battle or boss battle if it's the big bad of the dungeon, or it's like a skirmish if you've just encountered a monster. So basically showdown/encounter. Not sure if that helps.

BJ Beauchamp

BJ Beauchamp
University at Buffalo
Bachelors of Arts, Applied Linguistics
---
I'm a soldier and that means
I am both defendant and judge
I stand at both ends of the fire

I'm a soldier つまり私は
被告人であり裁判官
火の両端に私は立つ
---

John Stroman

Oct 3, 2019, 2:07:34 PM10/3/19
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Warren,
Maybe literally, but based on having watched too much TV when I lived in Japan, I think it is the deciding battle in a prolonged conflict. Colloquially, "showdown" comes to mind.
John
----------------

Alan Siegrist

Oct 3, 2019, 6:43:26 PM10/3/19
to hon...@googlegroups.com

BJ Beauchamp writes:

For what it's worth, there are no random encounters in D&D.

I don’t really understand what you mean by this. I played a lot of D&D in my youth, and our main Dungeon Master (DM) did include random encounters in most of his worlds and dungeons. It is also easy to find random encounter generators for use in D&D. Perhaps some DMs do plan out all encounters so there is no element of randomness. I don’t know. But your sweeping statement about no random encounters in D&D does not seem to hold water.

Regards,

Alan Siegrist (aka Thil Tel Rhumidor, 18-strength Dwarf)

Carmel, CA, USA

BJ Beauchamp

Oct 3, 2019, 6:56:00 PM10/3/19
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Alan writes:

I don’t really understand what you mean by this. I played a lot of D&D in my youth, and our main Dungeon Master (DM) did include random encounters in most of his worlds and dungeons. It is also easy to find random encounter generators for use in D&D. Perhaps some DMs do plan out all encounters so there is no element of randomness. I don’t know. But your sweeping statement about no random encounters in D&D does not seem to hold water.

I've honestly never had a DM pull a random encounter on me in D&D and I've played since my childhood. Maybe it's not a common thing anymore or maybe it's just the people I've played with being that anal about everything, who knows. Just basing it off of what I've come to know.

BJ Beauchamp

Herman

Oct 3, 2019, 9:12:21 PM10/3/19
to hon...@googlegroups.com
On 10/3/19 10:44 AM, Warren Smith wrote:
> Thanks, John.
>
> So a "one-on-one battle"? (This would make sense, as many of the screen
> shots are suspiciously like Pokemon Go, where all battles are one-on-one...)

"face-off (battle)" would be more accurate.

Herman Kahn

Edward Lipsett | Intercom

Oct 3, 2019, 9:48:15 PM10/3/19
to hon...@googlegroups.com
I have to agree with Alan here, although it has nothing to do with translation…

I haven’t played in decades, but whether D&D or other RPG, and whether I was a player or a GM, there was _usually_ a core mission of some sort, but _always_ random encounters.

Edward Lipsett
KHP

Michael House

Oct 3, 2019, 11:20:35 PM10/3/19
to hon...@googlegroups.com

iPadから送信

2019/10/04 11:16、Edward Lipsett | Intercom <trans...@intercomltd.com>のメール:

Also for what it’s worth, I concur with Alan and Ed. I recall published scenarios typically either having descriptions of random encounters or else specifying that there weren’t any. Further to the original question, I also agree that 「対決」 in this context probably equates to "showdown" or "main encounter" or words to that effect. Hope this helps at least a little.

Sincerely,
Michael House
Principal, Word House Ltd.
Tokyo, Japan

Jens Wilkinson

Oct 4, 2019, 10:20:37 AM10/4/19
to hon...@googlegroups.com

On Oct 4, 2019, at 12:20, Michael House <mac...@gol.com> wrote:

iPadから送信

2019/10/04 11:16、Edward Lipsett | Intercom <trans...@intercomltd.com>のメール:

I have to agree with Alan here, although it has nothing to do with translation…

I haven’t played in decades, but whether D&D or other RPG, and whether I was a player or a GM, there was _usually_ a core mission of some sort, but _always_ random encounters.

Edward Lipsett
KHP

I’m also a former player, but with no knowledge of Japanese terminology. It occurs to me that it might simply be a redundant phrase, which simply means battle, like Mount Fujisan in English. But I have no basis for that—I’d suggest asking Japanese gamers.

Jens Wilkinson

Warren Smith

Oct 4, 2019, 5:16:12 PM10/4/19
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, all, for your help. I think I will just go with "encounter/battle," as this seems what is supported best by context.

Having gotten to the very last line of the patent, I suddenly run across another term that is difficult "歩きスマホ".

I know what it is -- "zoning out through over-attention to your smart phone while walking," but how to express that is tough. The sentence is, "The invention simplifies game-play operations, thereby reducing the risk of 歩きスマホ." (This is an augmented reality game that is played while walking around, like Pokemon Go.)

"Smart phone zombiism" isn't proper patent tone. Considering using "risk of smart phone-induced loss of situational awareness," but that is a long way from the original text....

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Warren

John Stroman

Oct 4, 2019, 5:29:13 PM10/4/19
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Warren,
Again, I'm not a gamer, and my phone resides in my pocket, but it seems like "distracted walking" is widely used in the context of accidents caused by using a smartphone while walking.
John Stroman
----------------

Warren Smith

Oct 4, 2019, 5:34:33 PM10/4/19
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Wow... I really have lost the ability to speak English idiomatically!

Perfect answer, John. Thanks. (How could I have missed this?)

Warren

Warren,

Again, I'm not a gamer, and my phone resides in my pocket, but it seems like "distracted walking" is widely used in the context of accidents caused by using a smartphone while walking.

John Stroman

John Stroman

Oct 4, 2019, 6:20:06 PM10/4/19
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Warren,
I have trouble with colloquial English spoken by people younger than 30.
I was just curious and could not think of an answer, so I googled walking+accident+smartphone, and there it was.
Sometimes I think half of translating is knowing where to look for the answer.when you get stuck.
John

Herman

Oct 4, 2019, 6:44:31 PM10/4/19
to hon...@googlegroups.com
On 10/4/19 2:16 PM, Warren Smith wrote:
> Thanks, all, for your help. I think I will just go with
> "encounter/battle," as this seems what is supported best by context.
>
> Having gotten to the very last line of the patent, I suddenly run across
> another term that is difficult "歩きスマホ".
>
> I know what it is -- "zoning out through over-attention to your smart
> phone while walking," but how to express that is tough. The sentence is,
> "The invention simplifies game-play operations, thereby reducing the
> risk of 歩きスマホ." (This is an augmented reality game that is played
> while walking around, like Pokemon Go.)
>
> "Smart phone zombiism" isn't proper patent tone. Considering using "risk
> of smart phone-induced loss of situational awareness," but that is a
> long way from the original text....
>
> Suggestions?

Given that 歩きスマホ literally means (or is a shortened way of saying)
歩きながらスマホを操作すること, "operating a smartphone while walking" would
be appropriate.

Herman Kahn

Stephen A. Carter

Oct 4, 2019, 9:00:34 PM10/4/19
to hon...@googlegroups.com
On 2019/10/05 6:16, Warren Smith wrote:
> Thanks, all, for your help. I think I will just go with
> "encounter/battle," as this seems what is supported best by context.
>
> Having gotten to the very last line of the patent, I suddenly run across
> another term that is difficult "歩きスマホ".

One term is "phubbing."

--
Stephen A. Carter
sca...@hticn.com

Christopher Frederick

Oct 5, 2019, 6:14:49 AM10/5/19
to hon...@googlegroups.com

On a similar note, I've noticed that the verb (歩き in this case) is often simplified to ながら and used in phrases like ながらスマホ (e.g. ながらスマホは危険です) or ながら運転, the latter of which I would typically expect to be called "texting while driving" in English.

Just some more grist for the mill…

— Chris

Jon Johanning

Oct 5, 2019, 1:49:53 PM10/5/19
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Sometimes I think my memory is slipping because I can’t remember what we did before there was internet-searching (or an internet, for that matter).

Jon Johanning

Stephen Suloway

Oct 5, 2019, 2:15:14 PM10/5/19
to hon...@googlegroups.com
> Jon Johanning wrote:
>
> Sometimes I think my memory is slipping because I can’t remember what we did before there was internet-searching (or an internet, for that matter).

I seem to recall that we (I) went to the public or university library and showed the fax of a fax of a copy of a copy of the handwritten document to a librarian . . . and stuff like that.
Not to mention the wall of books at home.

So static, so slow, so less productive, so 20th century.

So happy I get to live in the future now.

Regards,
Stephen

JimBreen

Oct 6, 2019, 7:41:17 AM10/6/19
to Honyaku E<>J translation list
On Saturday, 5 October 2019 08:44:31 UTC+10, sl...@lmi.net wrote:

Given that 歩きスマホ literally means (or is a shortened way of saying)
歩きながらスマホを操作すること, "operating a smartphone while walking" would
be appropriate.

 歩きスマホ even has its own Wikipedia page:
FWIW it became an entry in JMdict/EDICT about 5 years ago,

Jim

John Stroman

Oct 6, 2019, 6:52:41 PM10/6/19
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Er, to add to Jim's comment, the English Wikipedia entry for "smartphone zombie" features a photo of a warning poster on a tree that was printed by 大阪城パークセンター with the Japanese caption: やめましょう! 歩きスマホ!"
The English caption reads "Danger Walk Smartphone." One would expect that by now they would have hired an eager native English speaker to write the caption. The more things change....
John Stroman

dav...@gol.com

Oct 7, 2019, 5:53:18 AM10/7/19
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Jim B. wrote:

  • FWIW it became an entry in JMdict/EDICT about 5 years ago,

While you’re here, 施風 (Senpuu – a mini tornado (less than 50 m in diameter) or teapot tempest) seems to have slipped passed the EDICT gurus. It has some currency in the Go world, where “AI施風” is the disruption in opening theory caused by the new ideas invented by the current Go programs.

David J. Littleboy

Tokyo, Japan

Jon Johanning

Oct 7, 2019, 10:22:43 AM10/7/19
to hon...@googlegroups.com

On October 5, 2019 at 2:15:00 PM, Stephen Suloway (nmjap...@cybermesa.com) wrote:

> Jon Johanning wrote:

> Sometimes I think my memory is slipping because I can’t remember what we did before there was internet-searching (or an internet, for that matter).

I seem to recall that we (I) went to the public or university library and showed the fax of a fax of a copy of a copy of the handwritten document to a librarian . . . and stuff like that.
Not to mention the wall of books at home.

So static, so slow, so less productive, so 20th century.

So happy I get to live in the future now.

Regards,
Stephen

Yes, except that now you get deadlines of an hour or two. I fondly remember the days when no one expected a job to be done at the speed of light.

Jon Johanning

jjoha...@igc.org

dav...@gol.com

Oct 7, 2019, 12:00:06 PM10/7/19
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Oops. It’s there. I pasted 施風 (or what I thought was 施風)  in to both EDICT and Goo, and goo gave an entry, but EDICT ignored the second kanji. Probably I had an incorrect/corrupted kanji that goo was able to figure out.

JimBreen

Oct 8, 2019, 1:46:02 AM10/8/19
On Monday, 7 October 2019 20:53:18 UTC+11, dav...@gol.com wrote:

While you’re here, 施風 (Senpuu – a mini tornado (less than 50 m in diameter) or teapot tempest) seems to have slipped passed the EDICT gurus. It has some currency in the Go world, where “AI施風” is the disruption in opening theory caused by the new ideas invented by the current Go programs.

 施風?  Do you mean 旋風, which means "whirlwind" among other things?
I can't get the せん reading for 施.  変換ミス?

旋風/せんぷう went into EDICT over 20 years ago.

Jim

dav...@gol.com

Oct 8, 2019, 3:27:22 AM10/8/19
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Jim asked: “変換ミス?”

Would love it were that the story, but “user miss” is more like it. I need to accept my age and persuade my peecee to use larger fonts…

As always, thanks for you work on these things. Much appreciated.

David J. Littleboy

Tokyo, Japan

Oct 9, 2019, 11:23:22 AM10/9/19
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Found this when thinking about 歩きスマホ

https://youtu.be/3Fm0Zirt8wI

Please forgive the introduction of unprofessional frivolity, but it does illustrate the concept in question quite well...

Warren Smith

Warren Smith

Oct 10, 2019, 12:39:51 PM10/10/19
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Yes, except that now you get deadlines of an hour or two. I fondly remember the days when no one expected a job to be done at the speed of light.

------------------------

I remember -- not so fondly -- having to translate a fax of a fax of a fax of a patent, squinting and puzzling over illegible blobs that, several generations ago, used to be kanjis.

Being able to download clear copies of patents is, for me, the best thing about translating in the Internet age. (Not having to print and mail manuscripts is another -- the first book I translated took about 12 hours to print on an old, unreliable dot-matrix printer that kept on overheating!)

Warren

Jon Johanning

Oct 10, 2019, 4:31:01 PM10/10/19
to hon...@googlegroups.com

On October 10, 2019 at 12:39:38 PM, Warren Smith (warren...@comcast.net) wrote:

Yes, except that now you get deadlines of an hour or two. I fondly remember the days when no one expected a job to be done at the speed of light.

I remember -- not so fondly -- having to translate a fax of a fax of a fax of a patent, squinting and puzzling over illegible blobs that, several generations ago, used to be kanjis.

Being able to download clear copies of patents is, for me, the best thing about translating in the Internet age. (Not having to print and mail manuscripts is another -- the first book I translated took about 12 hours to print on an old, unreliable dot-matrix printer that kept on overheating!)

Warren

Ah yes, faxes with nothing but blobs. Well, I just turned those jobs down and explained that they were illegible. The clients and agencies couldn’t tell illegible Japanese from legible, of course. Just as they couldn’t distinguish among CJK; I had to tell them, “No, that’s Chinese."

Jon Johanning

jjoha...@igc.org