Another term in this job: チル化

Skip to first unread message

Jon Johanning

Jun 15, 2022, 4:02:26 PMJun 15
to Honyaku E<>J translation list
I suppose this might be "chilling" or "tiling," but I obviously need to know a lot more about how this stuff is made. Drat the fondness for katakana!


Jon Johanning

John Stroman

Jun 15, 2022, 4:43:25 PMJun 15
When I run into terms in patent applications in a field I am not very familiar with, I often use the WIPO search engine to see how others have translated the term in their English abstracts.
You can put the Japanese term into the search engine in double quotation marks, and it will pull up all the patents with that specific Japanese term in their Japanese abstracts. By reading the corresponding English abstract right above the Japanese, you can see how it has been translated previously. I spent 30 seconds looking at チル化 and got both "chill" and "chilling" based on context, and both patent applications were related to metal casting.
Good luck with this one.
John Stroman

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Honyaku E<>J translation list" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to
To view this discussion on the web visit
Reply all
Reply to author
0 new messages