共通ずり (laboratory apparatus)

Jon Johanning

Sep 24, 2021, 11:11:26 AM9/24/21
to Honyaku E<>J translation list
Dear Honyakkers,

This is a term in a drawing of a stopper for a laboratory apparatus. There are three parts in the drawing: a 袋ナット on top, a シリコーンゴム板 under that, and a 共通ずり under that. I suppose that the ずり is a ground glass fitting that goes into an opening of a glass vessel in the drawing to make a tight fit, but I can't come up with an English term for that part of the stopper.

TIA,
Jon Johanning

Matthew Schlecht

Sep 24, 2021, 11:43:32 AM9/24/21
to Honyaku
On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 11:11 AM Jon Johanning <jjoha...@igc.org> wrote:
Dear Honyakkers,

This is a term in a drawing of a stopper for a laboratory apparatus. There are three parts in the drawing: a 袋ナット on top, a シリコーンゴム板 under that, and a 共通ずり under that. I suppose that the ずり is a ground glass fitting that goes into an opening of a glass vessel in the drawing to make a tight fit, but I can't come up with an English term for that part of the stopper.

I suspect that 共通ずり is an abbreviated form of 共通摺合せ, which would be "common/standard ground glass joint". The two items to be joined would each have a ground glass surface; those two surfaces come into contact to form a seal (improved if necessary with a teflon sleeve or some silicone stopcock grease), and the two would constitute a male/female pair or an inner/outer pair.

Matthew Schlecht, PhD
Word Alchemy Translation, Inc.
Newark, DE, USA
wordalchemytranslation.com