Botany/Cooking Question

Warren Smith

Mar 23, 2022, 9:19:29 AM3/23/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com

植物性食品素材の組織内へ酵素を導入し

In biology, 組織 would be "tissue." If talking about a grain such as rice, what would this word be? ("Bulk" perhaps? But I am just grasping...)

Thanks,

Warren

Warren Smith

Mar 23, 2022, 9:25:31 AM3/23/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com

"structure"?

John Stroman

Mar 23, 2022, 10:35:53 AM3/23/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Warren,
Since plants are biological material, they do have tissue, and based on an search of your query, the grammatical subject of 導入し is 発明者, so it would make sense that the inventors have treated the tissues of a plant-based food material with enzymes to digest the tissues, perhaps a cellulase or amylase.
John Stroman
----------------

Warren Smith

Mar 23, 2022, 11:20:51 AM3/23/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com

You are so kind, John, to answer the question.

"Tissue" it is then.

 I hate translating in technologies outside of my normal understanding. You use the word "digest" in your short description. This is not a word that I have used in this translation... perhaps it should be. I have been translating 分解 enzyme as "lysing enzyme." Should this be digestive enzyme?  Should 組織多糖類分解 be "breaking down *tissue* polysaccharides"? (For a semiconductor guy, this stuff is tough!)

Thanks again for your help.

Warren

John Stroman

Mar 23, 2022, 12:40:54 PM3/23/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Warren,
When talking about food production processes, etc., I generally use forms of the verb "digest," although "break down" as a verb is also possible. A lysing enzyme, also called a lyase, is something a little different since lysis usually refers to the molecular level and the breaking of specific chemical bonds. Actually, that is what the enzymes are doing when they "digest" a large molecule, but digestion is a slightly higher level of abstraction in a sense. It all depends on the context. For your long string of kanji, I think you should consider something like "digestion of tissue polysaccharides" or "digestion of polysaccharides in/of the tissue." This is more a matter of what sounds good in English and fits the context. You can also use "breaking down" in the above kanji string without a major problem, but personally I would avoid breakdown as a noun. That may just reflect my writing style though, so nothing is set in stone.
John