ディスプレイオーディオ

Warren Smith

Dec 29, 2022, 2:14:24 PM12/29/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Has the translation world landed on a standard translation for this rather tortured loanword from English, "ディスプレイオーディオ"?

On its website (at least based on the URL) Toyota seems to be calling this a "displayaudio."

On the other hand, based on the Sakidori website, I am considering calling it a "vehicle audio/visual unit."

Do any of my colleagues have a strong opinion on this?

Thanks

Warren

image002.jpg

Warren Smith

Dec 29, 2022, 3:40:02 PM12/29/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Changed my mind. Decided to call this a "vehicle display/audio unit" to remain more closely matched to the source Japanese (which is someone important in patent filing and litigation -- you consumer-oriented translators can likely come up with something much more evocative -- such as "infotainment system").

image001.jpg

Alan Siegrist

Dec 29, 2022, 3:56:12 PM12/29/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com

I think the generic term is “infotainment screen”.

Alan Siegrist

Monterey, CA, USA

--

image001.jpg

Hào Anh Lê 黎英豪

Dec 29, 2022, 6:02:29 PM12/29/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com
There's a wiki page on it:

トヨタ ディスプレイオーディオ(DA) は、 トヨタ自動車が開発しディスプレイがついた車載カーオーディオシステムである。製造はデンソーテンもしくはパイオニアダイハツ工業OEM車)[1]

Toyota Display Audio (DA) is an in-vehicle car audio system developed by Toyota Motor Corporation and equipped with a display. Manufactured by Denso Ten or Pioneer (OEM car of Daihatsu Motor)[1].

Hào Anh Lê

Hào Anh Lê 黎英豪

Dec 29, 2022, 6:02:38 PM12/29/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Nov 4, 2021  A high-definition screen, wireless features, and ultimate connectivity make the new infotainment system faster and more convenient for drivers.

Hào Anh Lê

Warren Smith

Dec 29, 2022, 6:19:12 PM12/29/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Hào Anh Lê

I wonder why a patent attorney would use "ディスプレイオーディオ" as a generic term for a display device that controls an audio system in a car... If the term is trademarked by Toyota (or Denso), one would think that this would invalidate the trademark protection (if he got away with it). On the other hand, the patent would be phenomenally narrow if we read this at face value and thought that it ONLY applies to the Toyota device.

Very odd....