フォロー中 (medical)

Herman

Oct 28, 2021, 11:27:35 PM10/28/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com

「現病歴: 関節リウマチで一内科でフォロー中。
2020年8月より....」

What are some options for フォロー中 here?

Herman Kahn

Alan Siegrist

Oct 29, 2021, 12:13:38 AM10/29/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
I hope I'm not stating the obvious but have you tried "follow-up"?

I think they regularly ask RA patients to come in for follow-up visits after diagnosis.

Regards,

Alan Siegrist
Monterey, CA, USA

Dr. M. S. Niranjan

Oct 29, 2021, 12:26:46 AM10/29/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
On 2021/10/29 8:57, Herman wrote:
> What are some options for フォロー中 here?
supported by, pursued in, under treatment in, under observation in,
being followed up in,...

The choice depends on detailed context.

Niranjan
(Dr. M. S. Niranjan)

li...@letstalktranslations.com

Oct 29, 2021, 12:33:50 AM10/29/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
> 関節リウマチで一内科でフォロー中。

Without further context, I might use "ongoing management."

Michael Hendry, in Newcastle Australia

li...@letstalktranslations.com

Oct 29, 2021, 12:45:59 AM10/29/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Maybe Alan's "follow-up" is better though. Definitely the safest option if the details are unknown...

"follow-up care" ?

Michael@still_here... 😊

Herman

Oct 29, 2021, 1:18:35 AM10/29/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
I suppose "Follow-up for rheumatoid arthritis is being provided by the
First Dept. of Internal Medicine" could be a possibility, but I find it
somewhat dubious. There may well be follow-up visits involved, but I
don't think the term フォロー中 itself in this context means that the
patient is coming in or being asked to come in for follow-up visits,
does it?

Herman Kahn

Herman

Oct 29, 2021, 1:38:38 AM10/29/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Some additional context is that this is a report by the department of
urology regarding surgery for kidney stones. There are no details as to
what specifically the フォロー entails in this case.

Herman Kahn

Dr. M. S. Niranjan

Oct 29, 2021, 5:32:35 AM10/29/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
On 2021/10/29 11:08, Herman wrote:
> Some additional context is that this is a report by the department of
> urology regarding surgery for kidney stones. There are no details as
> to what specifically the フォロー entails in this case.
This means that the urology department has finished its treatment (once
the kidney stones are removed), but it appears that formation of kidney
stones is also related to arthritis, etc., which is being taken care of
by the internal medicine department. That would not necessarily be
called a "follow up" since the department is different and, probably, a
new treatment will be started in the internal medicine department.
How about saying simply that "Further, the patient is undergoing
treatment for rheumatoid arthritis."

John Stroman

Oct 29, 2021, 6:03:48 AM10/29/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Herman,
You have received many good suggestions already. I only want to add that in the past patients usually had scheduled appointments with a physician at specified intervals after treatment was performed. In more recent translation jobs, however, I have noticed that patients have been contacted by telephone or other forms of telemedicine  (usually by a nurse) and asked to respond to questions based on a predetermined questionnaire to assess the patient's progress and detect any potential problems. This saves both time and energy for the patient and the healthcare provider. Such contact is simply called followup in Japanese medical jargon. In your sentence you can simply say that the patient is (was) undergoing followup by the internal medicine department for rheumatoid arthritis. Anyone reading such a document would immediately catch the meaning. No need to be more specific.
John Stroman

Stephen A. Carter

Oct 29, 2021, 10:25:40 AM10/29/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
On 2021/10/29 12:27, Herman wrote:
> 「現病歴:    関節リウマチで一内科でフォロー中。
>         2020年8月より....」
>
> What are some options for フォロー中 here?

For a manufacturer of industrial equipment, I used to translate reports
to corporate head office from field mechanics servicing vehicles at
customer worksites. In that context, フォロー中 in the reports usually meant
that an untested fix had been applied, and it needed to be watched to
make sure it proved effective. The thrust of the translations I used for
this was "we are continuing to monitor the situation."

--
Stephen A. Carter, C. Tran.
sca...@hticn.com