Re: Digest for honyaku@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

Jeff Slenker

May 11, 2022, 10:02:04 AM5/11/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com

On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 7:00 AM <hon...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Dylan, I think some legal translation work (particularly contracts)  is decreasing in volume available due to machine translation use. The parts of it that are less repetitive/cookie cutter should continue unchanged. Jeff Slenker
Dylan Luers Toda <dylan...@gmail.com>: May 10 06:32AM -0700

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to receive some advice regarding getting into law translation.

First, a little background: For about eight years, I've been a JE
translator specializing in human and social science academic fields,
especially Japanese history and religion. I gained the language and
knowledge necessary for my career through my undergraduate studies (East
Asian Studies) in the US and by attending a Japanese university as a
research and master's student. Currently, I live in the United States
(Pittsburgh).

While I have always had more than enough work, recently there has been a
lull (which I attribute researchers continually putting international
projects on hold over the past two years of the pandemic), and the JPY/USD
exchange rate has been quite horrible for people living in USD and
receiving income in JPY. This has led me to think more about my career in
the long term, and I am considering diversifying, that is, adding a
specialization. (I also am always actively trying to improve my efficiency
through CAT and MT tools.)

Legal translation is a specialization I am considering, partially because
the rates seem to be on the higher end.

I am wondering what the best way to get into the field would be. I am
thinking about attending a part-time program at a local university to
acquire a Master of Studies in Law with a specialization in international
business. However, I am concerned this would not adequately acquaint me
with Japanese law. Is anyone aware of any online programs or other avenues
through which I could do so?

(Ideally, I would like to attend a program in law at a US institution and
then at a Japanese one, but unfortunately family circumstances prevent me
from moving countries in the foreseeable future.)

TL;DR: Looking for information on ways to acquire the necessary knowledge
to begin JE legal translation work.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

Thank you,
Dylan

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Honyaku E<>J translation list" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/honyaku/90f6095b-d9b2-41e9-b880-136b5a505249n%40googlegroups.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/honyaku/90f6095b-d9b2-41e9-b880-136b5a505249n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.