Seeking feedback on TM/Glossary products

John Stroman

Feb 26, 2021, 2:35:19 PM2/26/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Dear 'Yakkers,

The good news is that I had a new computer built for my work. The bad news is that much of my legacy software does not function on the newest incarnation of Windows 10. One such vital piece of software has been Felix TM and glossary tool. I especially like it because it works right inside the Word document without any need for an editing window. Unfortunately, my new version of Word does not recognize the Felix Add-in, and the Felix website has (understandably) been discontinued. Time to move on.

I have a very large quantity of client-specific memory and glossary files, many of them full of complete boilerplate phrases dictated by the customer in Felix. Felix allows its files to be exported as .tmx files, so basically I'm looking for a product that works inside the target software and can import .tmx files.

I used Wordfast a long time ago, but found it difficult to manage back then. In any event, Wordfast is still in business and on the horizon, but I would like any suggestions you may have about alternative CAT tools before I blindly go back to Wordfast.

Fortunately, the old computer still goes along, although increasingly coughing and wheezing, so I have time to export/import the files and make the transition to the new CAT tool.

TIA for any advice.

John Stroman
----------------

John Stroman

Feb 26, 2021, 4:32:28 PM2/26/21
to Honyaku E<>J translation list
I need to add that because of confidentiality agreements, I must store my translation memories and glossaries on my desktop and backup hard drive only. Therefore, any CAT tool that stores output files online is off limits.

John Stroman

Terry Gallagher

Feb 26, 2021, 4:36:37 PM2/26/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
I am a longtime fan of OmegaT, which is shareware, and works on Mac, Windows and Linux. All files are kept on your own computer. The app has the capacity to access online MT, but I never use that.

Terry Gallagher
Eastham, MA USA

Oroszlany Balazs

Feb 26, 2021, 5:29:10 PM2/26/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
I am a happy MemoQ user, but managing translation memories and term bases works equally well in MemoQ, Trados or OmegaT. OmegaT itself is capable enough to take over Felix's role for you.

What I really like in MemoQ is their relatively new option of livedocs, where you can simply align source and target documents, add bilingual documents and so on, and start using them as TMs.
https://www.memoq.com/tools/livedocs

Buying MemoQ means that you will get a license for 2 computers and updates/support for one year. After this you can still use the program as long as you like it, the annual extension of the support and maintenance services costs about 20% of the program.

Spend an afternoon or two with OmegaT, Trados and Memoq (the later two have free trials), because personal preference will be your most important criteria.

Balazs Oroszlany

Wataru Tenga

Feb 26, 2021, 5:30:44 PM2/26/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
John,

I've been happy with MemoQ over the years. It will work offline and can easily import your .tmx files. Just ignore any invitations to use its cloud features.

Note that it will be a different working experience from Felix, since it has a side-by-side interface (which I personally prefer but you may not).

Wataru Tenga, Tokyo

Rene

Feb 27, 2021, 11:43:18 AM2/27/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 4:35 AM John Stroman <stromana...@gmail.com> wrote:
I used Wordfast a long time ago, but found it difficult to manage back then. In any event, Wordfast is still in business and on the horizon, but I would like any suggestions you may have about alternative CAT tools before I blindly go back to Wordfast.

Have you checked Metatexis?
It works similar to Wordfast Classic inside Word, but apparently has more functionality than Wf. I know some people who really like it.

Rene von Rentzell

Carl

Feb 27, 2021, 11:43:18 AM2/27/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
>> I'm looking for a product that works inside the target software and can
>> import .tmx files.

If by “target software” you mean your word processor, then Metatexis would be the only one that fits those requirements and is still supported.

Carl Ranns,

Seoul.

John Stroman

Feb 28, 2021, 3:38:52 PM2/28/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks to the people who responded and their excellent suggestions.

Since the old computer still functions, I plan to take sufficient time to read manuals and test out free downloads of each before making the change.

Right now it looks like MetaTexis is the best fit in terms of similarity to Felix and transfer of my existing memory and glossary data that have been dictated by my primary customer. Two days ago it was OmegaT, and MemoQ is still in the running.

I'll let you know when the decision becomes final.

John Stroman

John Stroman

Mar 2, 2021, 11:35:56 AM3/2/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
PROBLEM SOLVED !
My local tech support wizard was able to install Felix on Office 2019. He recalled that when he initially installed Office 2019, the default was set to 64-bit installation instead of 32-bit installation. During installations of earlier versions of Office, there was a toggle but no default. We checked the version on my old computer (File>Account>About Word)  and found that my Office 2016 was installed as a 32-bit option. So, he uninstalled Office 2019 from the new computer, and reinstalled it as a 32-bit installation using my Microsoft account. The Felix setup app promptly installed the add-in tab in Office, and everything appears to be normal so far.

I hope this information is useful for anyone using older software who chooses to get a new computer and leaves the installation of Office 2019 to the default settings.

Again, I sincerely thank everyone who made suggestions about alternatives to Felix. Except for a number placement bug, it is still my first choice as a TM engine. Too bad the website has been taken down. If it ain't broke....

John Stroman