10 Areas Where Translators Are (and Will Remain) Essential Experts in the Loop

John Stroman

Nov 26, 2021, 8:42:06 AM11/26/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Dear Colleagues,

Some of you may be familiar with the Slator organization (Slator.com) that monitors all kinds of developments in the language services sector. They issue a free weekly newsletter by email on current events, meetings, and market analysis. This week's newsletter featured the following link to an article entitled "10 Areas Where Translators Are (and Will Remain) Essential Experts in the Loop." The gist of the article is that translators still play an important role in many areas of language services. For your reading enjoyment and encouragement, please go to the link provided below.

John Stroman
----------------

TCM Lounge Sendai

Nov 27, 2021, 9:36:30 AM11/27/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Hi, this is my first time to post my question. I am really not good at this kind of group.
So, please be kind to me.

Is there any English equivalent for シンポジスト. シンポジスト is 和製英語 but there is a word, symposiast. Could anyone help me with this?

Thank you in advance. Hope my post is OK here.

Masatoshi  Shoji

Warren Smith

Nov 27, 2021, 11:31:39 AM11/27/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Welcome to the group.

We are nice people, I promise!

Can you place provide context? For example, does this have to do with resin synthesis, or educational meetings, etc?

Typically it is useful to see the word in a sentence.

Warren Smith

Warren Smith

Nov 27, 2021, 11:39:11 AM11/27/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Sorry. Typo. Can you *please* provide context?....

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/honyaku/AE784362EEAF4DF5BF1C9259A6D14782%40WarrenSmithDell.

Alan Siegrist

Nov 27, 2021, 12:36:16 PM11/27/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Welcome to the group.

I believe that “symposium attendee” is the best English equivalent.

Regards,

Alan Siegrist

Monterey, CA, USA

Masatoshi  Shoji writes:

Subject: symposiast シンポジスト

Warren Smith

Herman

Nov 27, 2021, 1:55:30 PM11/27/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Except that シンポジスト typically refers to not members of the audience
but to symposium participants in the sense of
speakers/presenters/panelists.

Herman Kahn

On 11/27/21 9:58 AM, Warren Smith wrote:
> If “symposium attendee” is what this is referring to, and it is
> completely clear from the broader context that it is a symposium that is
> being attended, then merely "attendee" might suffice.

> I believe that “symposium attendee” is the best English equivalent.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alan Siegrist
>
> Monterey, CA, USA
>
> --
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/honyaku/CD46215FA59949228386A7FD93147C6F%40WarrenSmithDell
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/honyaku/CD46215FA59949228386A7FD93147C6F%40WarrenSmithDell?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

JimBreen

Nov 28, 2021, 7:09:58 PM11/28/21
to Honyaku E<>J translation list
On Sunday, 28 November 2021 at 05:55:30 UTC+11 sl...@xxx.com wrote:
Except that シンポジスト typically refers to not members of the audience
but to symposium participants in the sense of
speakers/presenters/panelists.

I see GG5 and other JEs gloss it as "a participant in a symposium; a symposiast".

Daijisen says: "《(和)symposium+-istから》シンポジウム参加者。
[補説]英語ではsymposiast"

I think "symposiast" is OK.

Jim

Carl Freire

Nov 28, 2021, 7:52:43 PM11/28/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com, JimBreen
Indeed. To say nothing of the Merriam-Webster, Collins, and other
English-English dictionaries.

Cf.

<https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/symposiast>

Carl

On 11/29/21 9:09 AM, JimBreen wrote:
> On Sunday, 28 November 2021 at 05:55:30 UTC+11 sl...@xxx.com wrote:
>
> Except that シンポジスト typically refers to not members of the
> audience
> but to symposium participants in the sense of
> speakers/presenters/panelists.
>

> I see GG5 and other JEs gloss it as "a participant in a symposium; a
> symposiast".
>
> Daijisen says: "《(和)symposium+-istから》シンポジウム
> <https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/word/%E3%82%B7%E3%83%B3%E3%83%9D%E3%82%B8
> %E3%82%A6%E3%83%A0/#jn-115652>参加者。
> [補説]英語ではsymposiast"
>
> I think "symposiast" is OK.
>
> Jim
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/honyaku/e7b175db-b99a-4373-855e-8321ec4257e2n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/honyaku/e7b175db-b99a-4373-855e-8321ec4257e2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

TCM Lounge Sendai

Nov 28, 2021, 8:32:37 PM11/28/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Warren,

シンポジスト is from シンポジウム symposium.
In the following URL, you can see the context.
In Japan, this word is often used. However,
I guess this word is used only in Japan, maybe.

Regards,

Masatoshi Shoji

TCM Lounge Sendai

Nov 28, 2021, 8:32:40 PM11/28/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your input. I will use "symposiast."
But, do you generally use "symposiast" and "symposium" in other countries than Japan?

Masatoshi

Kevin Johnson

Nov 28, 2021, 8:37:52 PM11/28/21
to Honyaku E<>J translation list
Google gives 51,500 results for "symposiast," while シンポジスト gives 518,000. Given that 63.4% of the web is in English and just 1.9% is in Japanese, that's a strong argument to me that people don't really say "symposiast." I'm pretty sure most people would be puzzled by the word. I certainly have never heard it before.*

I commend Herman for going the extra step and thinking about how the Japanese term is actually used. "Symposium attendee" may be safest, but "speaker/presenter/panelist" is how the word is actually used in Japanese. I would say he's right.

I use Jim's dictionary every day, but overall, I don't think conventional J-E dictionaries are very good for exactly this reason. They often fail to apply common sense and just seem to be taking shortcuts, failing to deal appropriately with 和製英語 because it's so much safer and easier to just type the katakana phrase in English. Usually this results in "translations" that slip safely by Japanese proofreaders but don't actually serve the purpose of helping us to understand one another better.

Kevin P. Johnson

*I initially accidentally sent this message directly to Jim, who shared the following "シンポジスト got a count of 15430 in the (2007) Google Japanese n-gram collection and symposiast got a mere 510 in the English n-gram." This better reinforces the point that "symposiast" is a Japanese term more than an English one.

Warren Smith

Nov 28, 2021, 11:28:37 PM11/28/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com

You sure? I have given/attended many symposiums, but have never come across this word. Does it actually exist in the wild?

(There are lots of Goggits though...)

------------

I think "symposiast" is OK.

Jim

Warren Smith

Nov 28, 2021, 11:30:14 PM11/28/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Great analysis! I have never considered looking at ratios like this to identify Japanesisms...

TCM Lounge Sendai

Nov 29, 2021, 7:03:19 PM11/29/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, everyone. I am so grateful to have ignited some discussion regarding this word if I have not mistaken you. There are many other words I want to discuss. But, at this time, I will close this case. Thank you once again.
Masatoshi