Slightly baked Japanese in Trados

Geoffrey Trousselot

May 10, 2024, 8:12:06 PMMay 10
to Honyaku E<>J translation list
My trados always gives about 5% mojibake in Japanese sentences in the edit column. Anyone had that experience and found out why it happens?

It’s ok if no one answers. I’ve lived with it for seven  years now.

Geoffrey Trousselot

Herman

May 11, 2024, 6:11:20 PMMay 11
to hon...@googlegroups.com
I don't know anything about your trados edit column specifically, but
the reason that sort of partial mojibake happens in general is that the
file contains mixed text encodings, which some but not all applications
may be able to display "correctly" (without mojibake). The reason a file
may contain mixed encodings could be, for example, because text was
copied and pasted or otherwise incorporated from different sources, and
was not converted to a single encoding in the process of copying the
text or saving the file, or because an application incorporated some
special character or code into the file, which is not part of the main
text encoding, and another application treats is as being part of the
main encoding.

Herman Kahn

Dan Lucas

May 12, 2024, 1:49:51 AMMay 12
to Honyaku E<>J translation list
No, I have never seen that, thank goodness.
However, I have had a problem with zip files from a certain agency being affected by mojibake.
It is annoying, and it is the only company with which I have this issue.

Regards,
Dan Lucas

Geoffrey Trousselot

May 13, 2024, 10:50:51 AMMay 13
to Honyaku E<>J translation list

Thanks for the help on and off the list.
In the end, it seems that I did not understand how the program worked. The right side column (where you edit the segments) is set to the font that corresponds to the defined language code. As I use EN-US for my target, the defined font couldn't have had Japanese characters included, so each time I added Japanese to the segment pane I was editing, it had to start using two different fonts. (Or I still don't know what is going on.) But I think by setting the EN-US to Meiyo UI, which has lovely English by the way, the issue has gone away.

My biggest misunderstanding with the font setting was that I didn't understand that the settings for each language code remained even if the display went back to the language code at the top of the list.

I use Trados for recording my translations. I do so because the company uses a cat-tool that treats translators as if they the servants of the coordinators and does not allow private glossaries or memories. So I put most of my work through Trados to check on a mega combined memory, and to keep a record of what I have translated so that I don't have to translate the almost identical sentence from another company. (Financial reports are like that. Everyone has to disclose the same things.)

Quality control is getting more fussy and I'm getting more dotty and unreliable, so I am trying to get into the habit of pasting the Japanese below the English and deleting the corresponding Japanese parts as  I read the English. It's the only way I can reliably do post editing as well. I'm happy the issue is resolved as I can now use that technique in the Trados editing window with more comfort.

Geoffrey Trousselot