発薬生 = NHI?

Warren Smith

Apr 12, 2021, 10:20:45 AM4/12/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com

厚生労働省発薬生####

This is something issued by the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, related to a "Confirmation of a new chemical substance"

DeeplL gives 発薬生 as "NHI," but I am not sure what the is an abbreviation for.

Is anybody well versed on this sort of thing?

Thanks,

Warren

JON JOHANNING

Apr 12, 2021, 10:36:38 AM4/12/21
to 'Jim Davis' via Honyaku E<>J translation list
Could be a garbling of (something or other) 発性薬 — a chemical that generates something or other. But I don’t have time right now to puzzle it all out.

Jon Johanning
jjoha...@igc.org

On Apr 12, 2021, at 10:20 AM, Warren Smith <Warren...@Comcast.net> wrote:

発薬生

Warren Smith

Apr 12, 2021, 11:04:31 AM4/12/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Jon.

I think it may be a legitimate government abbreviation of some sort. (I hate government abbreviations!) Or perhaps it is a common corruption of a government abbreviation...

It is found this string of kanji in a bunch of documents (in the same context), such as this one: https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000765159.pdf (not the document I am translating).

Judging from the other descriptors, "hatsu" is likely "issued by". Maybe that's the "I" (if the DeepL translation is correct...)

image002.jpg

Jon Johanning

Apr 12, 2021, 11:12:49 AM4/12/21
to Honyaku E<>J translation list
Good idea, Warren. I'm always bedeviled by those government abbreviations, too, especially ones with 発 in them.

Jon Johanning

Motohiro Kojima

Apr 12, 2021, 11:26:59 AM4/12/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Warren Smith様

I think 「発」 means, as you wrote, "issued by."
「薬生」maybe means「厚生労働省医薬・生活衛生局長」.
I found this document, for example.
https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000622338.pdf
2021.04.13 00:22:55
===================================
小島基弘 <mthr...@imoduru.net>

Brian Watson

Apr 12, 2021, 11:39:42 AM4/12/21
to Honyaku E<>J translation list
Just to share a reference I use, not that I'm certain it's helpful in this instance...

Brian Watson
He aliʻi ka ʻāina, he kauā ke kanaka

Herman

Apr 12, 2021, 11:47:09 AM4/12/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
I don't know what NHI would be, but 厚生労働省発薬生 can be expanded as
厚生労働省医薬・生活衛生局長通知 and could be translated for instance as
"PSEHB Notification ###" or "Notification ### from the the Director of
the Pharmaceutical Safety and Environmental Health Bureau, Ministry of
Health, Labor and Welfare".

Herman Kahn

Warren Smith

Apr 12, 2021, 11:50:39 AM4/12/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Kojima-sama!

That was the key.

I think that 薬生 must be an abbreviation for 医薬・生活衛生局,
"Pharmaceutical and Life Science Bureau"

The "NHI" is likely a red herring, something like, "National Health
Institute," or something that is somewhat similar in the US or Britain.

So I am going with "Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, Pharmaceutical
and Life Science Bureau Doc. ####." (Translating "発" as "document")

Thanks for your help, y'all!

Warren

Apr 12, 2021, 11:52:30 AM4/12/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
OK -- now that Herman has sounded in, I will go with his suggestion instead.

Another save for the great Kahn! (Thanks -- I owe you one, Herman...)