Stonewall was a RIOT TOO! July 1st, 2011 - Dance party to celebrate queer resistance!!!

Homospun Collective Events

Jun 12, 2011, 1:10:31 PM6/12/11
to homospun...@googlegroups.com
Homospun Collective Events presents our second annual dance party to celebrate queer resistance:

Stonewall was a RIOT TOO!

Friday, July 1st, 2011
8 pm to 12 midnight

Norway House
1110 Hillside Avenue
Coast Salish Territory

Venue is all one level (including large single-use washroom with handrails), accessed from compacted-gravel parking lot via long wooden ramp.

This event is 19+: Please bring ID.
$5-10 sliding scale (no one turned away for lack of funds)

Click here to RSVP on Facebook

***
Pride is about more than just a party.
Pride is about more than just the right to marry and adopt and blend into the mainstream.
Pride is about more than just laws protecting queers from discrimination.

Pride is about having the courage, strength, and awareness to challenge all forms of oppression in our daily lives, and to stand in solidarity with the diverse individuals that make up the “queer community.”

Pride means challenging each other and others to “riot” in all sorts of ways: When we come together against the transphobia that pervades many GLBT spaces. When we acknowledge the fatphobia, the fear of people with disabilities, and the silence around mental health issues that destroy our ability to connect with one another. When we truly question what it means to live our lives on this colonized land.

Stonewall was a riot that changed history in North America, leading to many of the laws aimed to protect our “rights” and a change in the general public’s “acceptance” and support of queers. What are we doing to change history now?

We dance to remember those that came before us, those that stand beside us and the future generations to come!

Please join us in honouring our continued struggle.

SEE YOU THERE!!!

--
www.homospun.ca

stonewallwasariottoo2011.pdf