Fwd: Queer Youth Drop-In Center!

Annie Banks

Oct 15, 2009, 10:06:58 AM10/15/09
to homospun general listserv

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lindsay Lalonde <lsjla...@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 10:53 PM
Subject: Queer Youth Drop-In Center!
To: Homospun Collective <homospun-...@googlegroups.com>

Hey lovelies.

So, I'm one of the facilitators for the new Queer Youth Drop-In Center, being run by the South Island Pride Community Center. At the moment, this is the only resource/organized gathering space of this kind for queer youth in the Victoria area that I know of.

Sooo, I need your help getting the word out there...tell anyone you know who might be interested! In the future, we are hoping to have workshops/presentations at least once a month...if you've got skills or an area of knowledge you want to share - eg) zine-making, youth homelessness, safe sex, button-making...let me know! Also, if anyone is interested in volunteering often or sometimes, either with the drop-in center, or with the Pride Community Center in general, email our coordinator at sipcc...@gmail.com or check out www.southislandpridecenter.ca

The details...

Who: Queer Youth & Allies
18 & under, from any school or neighborhood
Past participants of S.E.X.Y. or other programs are welcome as participants
(18 & under) or peer mentors (19+)

When: Every Wednesday 6-8pm
October 7th, 2009 through June 2010 (summer hours TBA)

Where: Fairfield Community Place – Lower Lounge
1330 Fairfield Road at Moss Street
(next to Sir James Douglas school, on the #7 bus route)

What: queer youth resources & supported referrals
free group & individual counseling available
monthly creativity nights (art, movie-making, music etc.)
monthly cooking parties
Victoria youth events calendar & recreation info
comfy couches
books, comics & crafts
movies & gaming
phone & internet access
…and community!

Please circulate and forward widely!!

Annie - could you send this out on the wider Homospun listserve?  That would be so great!