Psychology. We were headed for trouble.

tim@homeschoolpsych

Nov 20, 2007, 7:26:33 PM11/20/07
to Homeschooling, ric...@bellsouth.net
A few years ago my wife and I realized that we were headed for
homeschool trouble.

It full dawned on that soon our oldest daughter would leave home for
college after 12 years in our homeschool. We realized that the measure
of success for our homeschool efforts would be more than her faith,
character, social skills, knowledge, GPA, and SAT test scores. The
measure of our success would be more than her acceptance to a good
college and scholarships. The real measure of our success would be how
prepared she was to face the challenges to her worldview that the
college experience will bring.

Almost 30 years ago as a young Christian I left home for a large state
University. One of the first courses I took was Psychology 101. I was
not ready to refute the worldview assumptions hidden deep in the
theories I learned. Under the banner of "science," the psychology
professor challenged or ridiculed everything I held dear. I was part
of the majority of Christians who "walk away" from their faith within
12 months of starting college.

I don't think that psychology professors have changed very much in 30
years, so we wanted to be sure that my daughter was prepared for
Psychology 101. We searched the catalogues in vain for an introduction
to psychology for Christian homeschool students. We searched the web
only to discover that many Christian homeschool families reject
psychology completely.

We think it is important that she study psychology in college. We
think that the study of the human mind, brain and behavior is part of
what it means to love the Lord with your mind. We just wanted help
teasing apart the science of psychology from the secular and
humanistic worldview assumptions that are such a part of "modern"
psychology.

I decided to do something about it.

I dedicated a big chunk of the last 3 years to understanding the
relationship of a Christian worldview and the assumptions of modern
psychology. I earned a Doctorate of Ministry along the way. The result
of the effort is Homeschool Psych: Preparing Christian Homeschool
Students for Psychology 101. You can preview the result at www.homeschoolpsych.com.