Lesson 28LL - Homeopathy for Colic

Sheri Nakken

Sep 16, 2010, 2:15:00 PM9/16/10
to homeopathy...@googlegroups.com
Lesson 28LL - Homeopathy for Colic

http://www.drfeder.com/children/homeopathy-colic.htm

Natural Remedies for Colic

by Lauren Feder, M.D.

My 3 month old son has been very fussy and irritable. My
pediatrician says that the problem is colic and that it will pass.
Can you suggest anything that is safe in the interim?

I remember that when I was pregnant with my first son, I was led to
believe that childbirth was the ultimate hurdle and that after my
"bundle of joy" was born I would live happily ever after. However, as
a physician I know that once the baby is born parents are faced with
an entirely new set of challenges. One of these is colic. After
endless sleepless nights, the midnight drives around the neighborhood
attempting to comfort a distressed baby, and trying "everything"
under the sun without success, parents often end up in my office
willing to try homeopathic medicine.

Homeopathy is a natural system of medicine in which the remedies that
are used stimulate the body's own healing powers. It is concerned
with treating the whole person -- not only the disease. For this
reason, people with the same problem may often be treated with
different remedies. When homeopathy is used by a skilled practitioner
and the case is individualized according to the patient's history and
physical exam, it is safe and can help even those stubborn cases of
infant colic.

The following information gives a brief description of some of the
more commonly used remedies for colic:

Bryonia alba (Bryonia) is for the infant who is irritable and does
not want to be carried. He is worse from movement and touch with a
tendency toward constipation.

Chamomilla is for the "impossible cranky irritable" baby who moves
about in agony. She cries one minute for something and then pushes it
away the next. Both baby and parents are miserable. Baby is better
from being carried. One notable feature is that one cheek is red and
the other is pale.

Colocynthis should be considered for severe colic. The baby screams
with gas pains and is doubled over. The pain is better with firm
pressure on the tummy.

Magnesia phosphorica (Mag phos) is used when relief is brought on by
gentle abdominal pressure. The baby also feels better with warmth on the belly.

Pulsatilla is for the affectionate baby who is irritable and desires
sympathy and attention. Naturally, homeopathy offers relief and cure
to countless other challenges that await new parents. Homeopathic
remedies are growing in popularity as people are becoming more
familiar with all it has to offer.

Many patients come to my office looking for a homeopathic remedy that
is natural and safe without any side effects. Common colic symptoms
respond well to homeopathic treatment. Homeopathic remedies come in
different strengths or potencies. The lower potencies which range in
strength from 6X, 6C, 30X and 30C are appropriate for use at home.
The correct choice of remedy will work at any strength. In general,
remedies in the strengths of 6X and 6C need to be repeated more often
than the 30X or 30C. I prefer that people new to homeopathy begin
with the lower 6X or 6C potencies. Homeopathic medicine is safe and
effective, without the side effects of standard medicine, and it is
useful for adults as well as children.

For chronic conditions, I recommend constitutional homeopathic
treatment, in which a homeopathic remedy is chosen by a trained
homeopath after a lengthy interview. This method can be very
effective for the long-term resolution of chronic conditions.

For more information on homeopathy and homeopathic remedies see What
is Homeopathy? and Directions for Use.

Lesson28LLColic.doc