Controlling Radiators

Nicholas J Humfrey

Nov 25, 2011, 4:55:17 AM11/25/11
to home...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Is anyone controlling individual radiators in their homes?

This came up briefly at Homecamp 4 and Ken suggested using an electric
expanding wax pellet. Any other custom solutions? I would love for it to
only use energy to turn on / off but not to keep the radiator on.

There seem to be quote a few wireless commercial solutions now, but all
quite expensive per radiator:

The Electronic Thermostatic Radiator Valve (eTRV)
£50
http://www.etrv.co.uk/
http://www.chalmor.co.uk/shop/shopexd.asp?id=44

Homexpert Rondostat Electronic Radiator Controller
£39.99
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=5017490588241

Honeywell HR80UK Radiator Controller
£80.64
http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/honeywell-hr80uk-radiator-controller/

HouseHeat Wireless Radiator Valve Motor
£40.84
http://www.mygreenerhome.co.uk/heat-saving-48/heating-controls-51/househeat-wireless-radiator-valve-motor-266.html

Has anyone tried hacking any of these?

nick.

Ken Boak

Nov 25, 2011, 5:00:47 AM11/25/11
to home...@googlegroups.com
Nicholas

My idea was the bodging of a low cost thermostatic radiator valve.

Try Conrad electronics  for lower cost automated TRVs

http://www.conrad.com/Climate.htm?websale7=conrad-int&ci=SHOP_AREA_17190

Ken

Nicholas Humfrey

Nov 25, 2011, 5:34:02 AM11/25/11
to home...@googlegroups.com
Ah, excellent, thanks Ken.

 £12.87 is a good price :-)

Although it looks like it needs an adaptor ring too. Will give it a go.

nick.

Jerd

Nov 25, 2011, 4:59:13 PM11/25/11
to homecamp
Hi

I have a current project for controlling radiators.

The controllers I choose was Sauter AXT111 F202. It is a 24V
controller and fits most radiator valves. They are about 30 quid plus
per unit,

I am lucky, as I have cat5 in every room. I use 1-Wire controllers
DS2406 to run relays and DS18S20 to check the radiator temperature. I
was also thinking of using small fans to boost the radiator's output
when it is hot.

Arduinos could be used, as an alternative controller.

Thanks

Gerard

On Nov 25, 9:55 am, "Nicholas J Humfrey" <n...@aelius.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is anyone controlling individual radiators in their homes?
>
> This came up briefly at Homecamp 4 and Ken suggested using an electric
> expanding wax pellet. Any other custom solutions? I would love for it to
> only use energy to turn on / off but not to keep the radiator on.
>
> There seem to be quote a few wireless commercial solutions now, but all
> quite expensive per radiator:
>
> The Electronic Thermostatic Radiator Valve (eTRV)

> £50http://www.etrv.co.uk/http://www.chalmor.co.uk/shop/shopexd.asp?id=44

> Homexpert Rondostat Electronic Radiator Controller

> £39.99http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=5017490...
>
> Honeywell HR80UK Radiator Controller
> £80.64http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/honeywell-hr80uk-radiator-controller/

> HouseHeat Wireless Radiator Valve Motor

> £40.84http://www.mygreenerhome.co.uk/heat-saving-48/heating-controls-51/hou...

Nicholas Humfrey

Nov 26, 2011, 5:07:01 AM11/26/11
to home...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gerard,

Where do you buy the Sauter controllers from?

"The actuator has an electrically heated, overrun-proof expansion element which transfers its stroke
direct to the valve."

I guess that means you have to keep it powered with 3W, to keep the radiator turned on? Do you run the 24v power over the same Cat5 as the 1-wire signalling?

nick.

Gerard Giblin

Nov 26, 2011, 5:41:51 AM11/26/11
to home...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nick

I am based in Ireland, so Igot some from EPHControls.com. I got my first one from Idratek.

The radiators only come on when the boiler is on. My boiler is under computer control, so it is a fairly simple step to expand the scripts to manage the radiators.

I am really just starting the project, so the first few controllers will have their own power supply. I will have to supply the 24v over cat5 for some of the radiators, as there is no power outlet close.

I did toy with the idea of rewiring a patch panel to supply 24v to all the controllers but a knowledable friend of mine said that it probably was not a good idea.  It would complicate things and make troubleshooting more difficult. You could definately run a couple of controllers from a single power supply.

Thanks

Gerard