Linking Internet Archive

martiniturbide

May 1, 2018, 9:11:48 PM5/1/18
to Home of the Underdogs
Hi

I was wondering if there can be any problem for the HotU site to start linking the Internet Archive library when you can play on the browser several of the underdogs games.

Ex: American Gladiators:
https://archive.org/details/sg_American_Gladiators_1992_GameTek_Imagitec_Design_US

Maybe on the "where to get it" to some something like "Play Online".
http://www.homeoftheunderdogs.net/game.php?id=1717

Was this discussed on the past?

Regards

LotBlind

Sep 6, 2018, 1:19:40 PM9/6/18
to Home of the Underdogs
Missed this I guess, although only Archibald can comment on how we can get that to work.

I think those browser games are an inferior choice to emulators because of no option to save it etc. Maybe not even pausing? Secondly, and importantly, AFAIK a lot of those archive.org games are actually shareware/demo versions, esp. of PC games that we mostly have, so it's just not worth much honestly. Whenever I've updated top dog games, I've made sure there is at least some abandonware sites where you can download the game but I haven't went as far as to link to those. Almost all our games are available on the internet with a simple search, and it's not like someone's going to play all of them in one go so that should be good enough. The most critical function of our site is the information and listing itself.

I wouldn't mind if we had automatic GOG links for games present there.