Hotfix: last-imperative-maintenance builds again

Vadim Tkachenko

Apr 7, 2024, 12:07:05 AMApr 7
to home-clima...@googlegroups.com
Hello lurkers,

https://github.com/home-climate-control/dz/tree/last-imperative-maintenance
branch builds again as of 74013deb0cf32f1e56a3bfe48e8644512475b4e2,
and this time it should stay buildable regardless of changes in
submodules (that was the root cause) but still requiring an occasional
"git pull" because of general bit rot.

Enjoy.

--vt

PS: Confirmed on Pi 4; you might want to add "-x test" to the build
command, otherwise it'll take forever. Also, add this to your
~/.gradle/gradle.properties - the second line is especially useful,
and you can counter it with --no-build-cache if you think it's not
working right:

org.gradle.parallel=true
org.gradle.caching=true

Mark Anderson

Jun 30, 2024, 4:04:18 PMJun 30
to home-clima...@googlegroups.com

Vadim,
So there's no tree building on Pi 3B, right? Guess I need to update to a newer pi.

Any comments on minimum Pi to use for main controller?

--

---

Vadim Tkachenko

Jun 30, 2024, 5:46:00 PMJun 30
to home-clima...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mark,

> So there's no tree building on Pi 3B, right?

If I remember correctly, this branch will still build on 3B:
https://github.com/home-climate-control/dz/tree/last-imperative-maintenance
- but you'd spend more time fighting with the configuration than you'd
spend on a new Pi. The only hard advantage of this codebase is when
you have to have this Pi in power starved conditions and can't afford
to generate much heat.

> Guess I need to update to a newer pi.

Might as well. Changes to the code base since that version are
essentially a full rewrite, with the focus being usability and ease of
configuration. Side effect, improved startup time. Temporary victims,
1-Wire and XBee devices (will be reinstated at some point). Offset by
ESPHome, Zigbee, Z-Wave and Home Assistant integration, though.
Massive improvements in observability. Economizer support. Better
fault tolerance. More in the pipeline. Last, but not least, a full
redesign of the Android app is coming, this time it will be
multiplatform (Android, Desktop, Web), and will not require a Google
proxy to work.

Here's a good starting point to see what HCC can do today:

https://github.com/home-climate-control/dz/blob/master/docs/configuration/index.md
https://github.com/home-climate-control/dz/blob/master/docs/hardware/index.md
(oops... there's a couple of typos, will fix)

> Any comments on minimum Pi to use for main controller?

It will likely run on Pi4, but the performance difference between Pi4
and Pi5 is so vast with negligible difference in price, I'd just get a
Pi5 and be done with it. Or, just run it on a UNIX box if you have one
already - these days, direct hardware connections are no longer
necessary (ESPHome makes them completely optional, and Zigbee and
Z-Wave just require adapters - don't forget to get a 3' USB cable
extender for each if you decide to go this way).

I run HCC in a Docker container (the old Android app wire protocol is
still compatible), but you might want to start with the Swing console
and then move on to headless, I might get the new app closer to done
by then.

--vt