YAML configuration question

marcus wells

Apr 6, 2024, 5:47:57 AMApr 6
to DIY Zoning & Home Climate Control Forum
Hi Vadim and others

Wow, the code-base has exploded!

My raspberry pi ate another SD card so it is rebuild time (again). To get into the spirit of things I thought I would update my installation. To refresh memories I'm running a 1-wire network of sensors and one 1-wire switch (to switch the boiler on or off) in heating only mode.

I can build the master branch without problems, but it seems like it might be a bit bleeding edge based on the documentation. I was on the imperative branch (I think, SD card was corrupted, so who would know!), sadly that no longer builds form me on a rpi 4.

My question so far is how I configure my 1-wire switch in the YAML file (if it is possible) as in the docs it says "stay tuned". I thought I would poke around in version tags - is this a bad idea?

but it looks like they are not a property of one-wire. However, I will likely be missing something.

Any recommendations on a branch/tag to use for 1-wire?

Thanks for reading!

Marcus

Vadim Tkachenko

Apr 6, 2024, 6:49:49 PMApr 6
to home-clima...@googlegroups.com
Hello Marcus,

> Wow, the code-base has exploded!

:) Yeah, that's both a good thing and a bad thing.

TL;DR: it was becoming more and more difficult to build it on Pi3 B+
and at some point I just gave up, since it was severely impacting
development speed. Since the passengers didn't scream (C) until today
:D I just chose the tools that gave the best bang for the buck
(quality of life improvements with newer tools are incredible), and
right now my instance runs in Docker on a UNIX box - but I know for
sure that it can also run on a Pi 5. Haven't tried on Pi 4 but I think
it'll run there as well - will test soon, read on.

> My raspberry pi ate another SD card so it is rebuild time (again).

Three things are certain
Death, taxes, and dead drives
Guess which just happened

Been there, done that, commiserations :(

> To get into the spirit of things I thought I would update my installation. To refresh memories I'm running a 1-wire network of sensors and one 1-wire switch (to switch the boiler on or off) in heating only mode.
>
> I can build the master branch without problems, but it seems like it might be a bit bleeding edge based on the documentation. I was on the imperative branch (I think, SD card was corrupted, so who would know!),

I know for sure you ran on imperative because the master doesn't
support 1-Wire yet. 1-Wire was among the most difficult things to
test, and I had to just swap the infrastructure to ESP* and Zigbee
based sensors and actuators completely to avoid being strangled in my
sleep if something didn't work :) I thought I'd catch up with it
pretty fast but right then I saw that the configuration was obsolete
and obscenely difficult so I went to overhaul that, which, in turn,
highlighted the fact that the whole architecture could be made much
better, time flew by, the rest is history, but 1-Wire wass still on
the bucket list - but I guess today is the day to restore it.

> My question so far is how I configure my 1-wire switch in the YAML file (if it is possible) as in the docs it says "stay tuned". I thought I would poke around in version tags - is this a bad idea?

Short answer: today it is not possible. Neither 1-Wire nor XBee are
currently supported.
Longer answer: it shouldn't take long to get them going. Starting tonight.

> sadly that no longer builds form me on a rpi 4.

Important: I don't remember at the moment how the imperative branch
looked like, it'll be a couple of hours before I get to it -
meanwhile, please send me the complete build log (preferably captured
with script(1)). I think the best way to do do that would be to file a
bug report so that all things are in the same place. My best guess at
the moment is that I relied on submodules' revisions implicitly and
they went out of sync so all I need to do to make it build is to
correct the submodules version - I'll take care of that so it never
breaks again.

Time to dust off my Pi 4, I guess :)

> See https://github.com/home-climate-control/dz/blob/v4.0.0/docs/configuration/1-wire.md
>
> I see there is a switches section in https://github.com/home-climate-control/dz/blob/v4.0.0/docs/configuration/sensors-and-switches.md
>
> but it looks like they are not a property of one-wire. However, I will likely be missing something.

Nope, you're not missing it, it's not there.

> Any recommendations on a branch/tag to use for 1-wire?

https://github.com/home-climate-control/dz/tree/last-imperative-maintenance
- and once I'm done with the fix, I'll make a versioned release so
that you don't have to hunt for it.

> Marcus

--vt