Holy Rule for July 15

St. Mary's Monastery

Jul 14, 2024, 7:03:10 PMJul 14
to holyrule
+PAX
Br. Jerome Leo’s Daily Reflection on the Holy Rule

March 15, July 15, November 14
Chapter 36: On the Sick

Before all things and above all things, care must be taken of the sick, so that they will be served as if they were Christ in person; for He Himself said, "I was sick, and you visited Me" (Matt 25:36), and, "What you did for one of these least ones, you did for Me" (Matt.25:40). But let the sick on their part consider that they are being served for the honor of God, and let them not annoy their sisters who are serving them by their unnecessary demands. Yet they should be patiently borne with, because from such as these is gained a more abundant reward. Therefore the Abbess shall take the greatest care that they suffer no neglect.

For these sick let there be assigned a special room and an attendant who is God-fearing, diligent and solicitous. Let the use of baths be afforded the sick as often as may be expedient; but to the healthy, and especially to the young, let them be granted more rarely. Moreover, let the use of meat be granted to the sick who are very weak, for the restoration of their strength; but when they are convalescent, let all abstain from meat as usual.

The Abbess shall take the greatest care that the sick be not neglected by the cellarers or the attendants; for she also is responsible for what is done wrongly by her disciples.

REFLECTION

"Before all things and above all things..." is a very strong statement. If St. Benedict meant that, and we must assume he did, monasteries and families should not only make sure that the sick are full and equal members, but even that they have priority. The sick bear a responsibility in this: they are not to "vex" those caring for them, but even if they fail in that, they must be borne with patiently.

Let's face it, at a certain point, the sick are definitely "out of the loop" in human society. This is even more true of the long-term, chronically ill. This is, of course, very typical primate behavior - for a nomadic troop of baboons, it would be fine. Christianity and Benedictinism, however call us to rise far above such limitations of natural response. We are called to be more than natural. We are bound to strive for the SUPERnatural.

Oblates in the world, there is a rich field of endeavor here and you will hardly have to get in line to enter it. Nursing homes freak you out? There are adult day care programs that might be easier for you. I used to do four Communion services a week in such places when I was in Boston, and, had I been able, they would have gladly let me do more.

When I left to come here, every single one of those services dropped to once a month or less. There is work for you to do if you want to get yourself commissioned as a Eucharistic minister and go for it. These were people that not only the world, but even the Church had largely forgotten. The chance to do anything for them enriched my life immeasurably.

Does even day care get to you? Then turn to the families of the chronically ill. To a large extent, they often share the isolation of the patient in a very real and very unfair way. Find some ways to not forget them, to give them a breath of normalcy and relief and you will find their lives, the patient's life and your own changing for the better. Everyone can do something, and there is plenty to do!

Ask most people what the hallmark of the Benedictine Order is and they will likely respond with either liturgy or hospitality. Our Holy Rule's prescription that all guests be received as Christ is justifiably famous, as is our concern for the liturgy. However, another hallmark less famous is this chapter's insistence that we receive and serve Christ in the sick, too. Would that we deserved to have people choosing between THREE hallmarks for their answer - care of the sick, liturgy and hospitality!

Br. Jerome Leo Hughes, OSB (RIP)