Holy Rule for July 25

St. Mary's Monastery

Jul 24, 2024, 5:15:00 PM (3 days ago) Jul 24
to holyrule
+PAX
Br. Jerome Leo’s Daily Reflection on the Holy Rule

March 25, July 25, November 24
Chapter 45: On Those Who Make Mistakes in the Oratory

When anyone has made a mistake while reciting a Psalm, a responsory, an antiphon or a lesson, if he does not humble himself there before all by making a satisfaction, let him undergo a greater punishment because he would not correct by humility what he did wrong through carelessness. But boys for such faults shall be whipped.

REFLECTION

This chapter bears the key to Benedictine community and mercy: the offender is willing, perhaps even eager at times, to humble himself after a fault, without any prompting, before any action is taken from superiors. Contrast this with those who resist ardently the slightest correction and you will quickly see what such behavior indicates! The hallmarks of our Order are humility and obedience.

OK, another little slice of monastery life here! Brother Isidore is Canadian, and runs very true to the stereotypical Canadian politeness and reticence we Statesiders often tease him about. Brother joins in this fun with a lot of good humour. (Please note British Commonwealth spelling preferences here, a token offering!) One of his favourite lines of jest is: "I'm sorry, it was my fault." This is best repeated while striking his breast, after a glaringly obvious gaff by the OTHER party, and all enjoy a laugh.

We follow the custom of kneeling in choir when one makes an audible mistake here. Brother Isidore used to sit in my row. On more than one waggish occasion, I have been known to comment that, if one wants to have a little fun in choir, all one needs to do is make a mistake, act like nothing happened, and wait for the Canadian to kneel. Oh, well, it's a joke we all liked - even Brother Isidore!

The kneeling is just a way to say "I'm sorry" to the group. It also has some (though by no means a total) deterrent effect. Many are the days when I kneel for the third time in one Office hour and just think: "Why don't I just STAY on my knees for the duration?" It can be funny, too. Hear a big gaff and watch 2/3 of a row kneel after the verse is finished. On the other hand, I often - though not always, alas - try not to look at who kneels. I can assure you, from the many times I kneel myself, I find merit in the practice every time. Honestly and truthfully admitting gaffs can be a source of great growth.

And there's the key for all of us who are NOT in choir. Admit your mistakes, own up, and apologize. These common courtesies are very Christ-like and are very, very rare in our world today. Modern people can have such a distorted view of their own impeccability. When we admit ours, we throw a compelling image of Christ into that secular morass. It may be just throwing bread on the waters, but we never know whom our truthful admissions may touch and lead to God.

Br. Jerome Leo Hughes, OSB (RIP)