Holy Rule for July 19

St. Mary's Monastery

Jul 18, 2024, 1:54:47 PM (9 days ago) Jul 18
to holyrule
+PAX
Br. Jerome Leo’s Daily Reflection on the Holy Rule

March 19, July 19, November 18
Chapter 40: On the Measure of Drink

"Everyone has her own gift from God, one in this way and another in that" (1 Cor. 7:7). It is therefore with some misgiving that we regulate the measure of others' sustenance. Nevertheless, keeping in view the needs of the weak, we believe that a hemina of wine a day is sufficient for each. But those to whom God gives the strength to abstain should know that they will receive a special reward.

If the circumstances of the place, or the work or the heat of summer require a greater measure, the superior shall use her judgment in the matter, taking care always that there be no occasion for surfeit or drunkenness. We read it is true, that wine is by no means a drink for monastics; but since the monastics of our day cannot be persuaded of this let us at least agree to drink sparingly and not to satiety, because "wine makes even the wise fall away" (Eccles. 19:2).

But where the circumstances of the place are such that not even the measure prescribed above can be supplied, but much less or none at all, let those who live there bless God and not murmur. Above all things do we give this admonition, that they abstain from murmuring.

REFLECTION

A hemina would be about 10 fluid ounces in today's measurements. Various estimates may have been made, but I think we can be confident that it was a moderate amount, whatever the case.

St. Benedict again shows concern for the weak and says that their needs must be respected. It is typical of his recurring theme that one size does not fit all. We also see another example of his giving the abbot or abbess leeway to provide more if necessity requires it. He seems to know that his Holy Rule would be kept in many different places and climates and he provides for them.

Moderation is the key, as it so often is. We must drink sparingly, and not to excess. Take this to refer to wine, to alcohol, not to fluids in general. Far too many people fail to get enough fluids today, leading to partial dehydration. Make sure you get plenty of water, especially if you are older.

St. Benedict says that God shall give a special reward to those who can abstain from wine entirely. Why not try offering that abstinence, whether total or only partial and occasional, for those who suffer from alcohol addiction? It can be a powerful prayer and sacrifice for those whose lives have been ruined by alcoholism. Making do with less or even none at all can be a very holy thing.

Finally, he says that those who have less or none at all should bless God and not murmur. How often do we fail to praise God for what we lack? Even our lacks can be occasions to praise Him! We should bless God in every instance.

As for murmuring, which in the Holy Rule means griping or complaining, St. Benedict condemns and forbids it in very strong terms. Whether in home or workplace or monastery, murmuring does no good and causes much harm. It attacks the unity of the group and spreads discord. We all know how much more pleasant it is to deal with a cheerful, or at least non-complaining person than with one who is always finding fault. Someone who complains frequently can be a huge annoyance to all. On the other hand, one who endures unpleasant things without a word or even a grimace can be truly very edifying and build up the desires of others for greater holiness. Let us always, "above all things" avoid murmuring. Let us be the uncomplaining ones whose silence in the face of lack spurs others on to greater heights.

Br. Jerome Leo Hughes, OSB (RIP)