Re: Josiah E. & Rebecca Graham Jones

Clayton Mann

Jul 17, 2008, 9:10:59 PM7/17/08
to Melvin T. Jones, Cathy Dempsey, cobbi...@cableone.net, Kru...@aol.com, John...@aol.com, Marc Hall, SJCN...@aol.com, holtcha...@googlegroups.com

Mel, I think in both these cases that the records point to whom we believe they do.  However, I guess I can't say I'm 100% certain since I've only recently focused on these names, particularly William B. Jones.  I was hoping one of the others who have been kept in this e-mail loop might be able to add something to this to help us all reach the 100% certainty level.  For instance, I wonder why there is no gravestone for Rebecca where there is one for Josiah E.  And was anyone aware that William B. lived in Stephens County and taught school at the end of his life? I know so little about this family that I don't know if these facts seem reasonable, but it sure looks like this William Bill must be our William B, and it sure fits the family of Eli & Dicey well for Josiah E. (J. E.) to be born in Dec 1810.

If we all keep plugging away, I think we can piece together a lot more of this family.  I'd like to determine who Josiah's three youngest sisters were.  His oldest we know was Amerniah and I'm fairly certain that the next oldest daughter was Mary who married George P. Lott, but there was one more born in the late 1810s, one in the early 1820s, and one in the late 1820s.  The youngest, if she married, most likely did so in Marshall County, Mississippi.  The third daughter may have married in Haywood County, Tennessee like Mary must have done.  The 4th daughter was not in the household in 1840, but she may not have lived until then; but then again, she may have...total speculation at this point.

I don't think there were any more sons of Eli & Dicey other than Josiah E., Richard D, and William G. The census records are consistent on this and I've found no other records that lead me to believe otherwise.  That's not to say I think it is not possible, we all know census records can't always be trusted, but the 1820, 1830 and 1840 records are quite consistent in what they reveal.  I think the other Jones families in the Haywood County & Marshall County areas are likely unrelated, or are nephews or cousins of Eli Jones.

Clayton

P.S.  I added Nolan Jones to those copied on this e-mail.  I overlooked him earlier and owe him an apology.  Nolan, sorry about that...it was not intentional.  I bet you'll have some things to add and I look forward to reading it.

Clayton;  I know that you just copied me on this but after reviewing William B. death certificate(Josiah's son) it shows mothers maiden name as 'Graham' which I have been trying to find for years. I have been going back and forth between 'Bone' and 'Graham' and this confirms that Rebecca's maiden name was 'Graham'. also the Mule Creek Cemetery listing give Josiah E.'s birth date and death date which I was missing. This has been a big piece to the puzzle,  thanks so much for including me.    Take Care   Mel