Holt

Richards...@aol.com

Apr 30, 2006, 3:39:14 PM4/30/06
to HoltCha...@googlegroups.com
Clayton:
Do you have the names of the children of Richard Holt and the sources?

At one time you said Squire was 1st cousin of Ausborn. If Squire was son of Richard & John is son of Richard(John being Ausborn's father) then Squire would be uncle to Ausborn?

According to Johnston census 1810,1820,1830 John was born ca 1775 in Va per 1880 Raleigh, Wake Co., census for Ausborn. Richard and Elizabeth said to be married in Nov 1784. This does not add up

According to Robert Holt, on World Connect, there was a Richard(x) Holt born in Nottoway parish Amelia Co. Va. and died in Nottoway parish, Amelia Co., Va.

Can you unconfuse me.

Dick Richardson

Clayton Mann

Apr 30, 2006, 7:11:50 PM4/30/06
to HoltCha...@googlegroups.com
The first Richard Holt, the one that died in 1822 in Chatham County, had sons Richard II, George and John.  Your John had a son named Ausborn, and Richard II had a son named Squire, thus Squire and Ausborn were first cousins.  I connect to this family through George who had a son named Anderson; thus Anderson was also a first cousin of Ausborn's.

Richard Holt II and Elizabeth George were not married in 1784.  This is a typo or mistake of some kind, but a mistake nonetheless.  I laid out my reasons for concluding this yesterday in the third entry under the the thread Richard & Elizabeth Holt War of 1812 Pension Papers.

The Richard Holt that was born in Amelia County may very well be our Holt family connection.  I have not had a chance to thoroughly check it out.  I think it is safe to bet that our Richard who died in 1822 and who lived most of his early years in Johnston County, NC was born in VA.

There is an abundance of circumstantial evidence to determine who most of Richard Holt II's children were, but then in addition there are three documents (or groups of documents) that clinch it as to who all nine were: (1) the 1836 Will of Richard Holt II which mentions the youngest children; (2) the distribution of the properties of Richard & Elizabeth Holt as recorded in the deed books of Chatham County (1846 & 1851); and (3) the extensive notes on the Holt family of Chatham & Wake Counties recorded in letters by Irene Johnson Holt in the 1930s.

Clayton