Interim Solution to Telnet Not Working

phamti

Dec 31, 2010, 5:54:21 PM12/31/10
to hoekey
For some strange reason when you use hoekey to jump to the command
line the Telnet and Ping command will not work.

This appears to be due to permissions. "dir telnet.exe /s" using
Hoekey can not see.
c:\Windows\System32\telnet.exe

Strangely C:\Windows\System32\ping.exe works and appears to have the
exact same permissions.

Temporary solution, as a regular user copy telnet.exe to C:\Windows\
which is already in the system path.

Magnum

Jan 4, 2011, 3:59:17 AM1/4/11
to hoekey
What command are you using to junp to the command line, and also, what
version of Windows?
My hotkey bound to run "C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe" opens a command
prompt, as expected, but I can then access telnet and ping just fine.

phamti

Jan 4, 2011, 12:13:55 PM1/4/11
to hoekey
Hi Magnum, I should have been more specific,

This problem is specific to Windows 7 64-bit. I did not check Windows
7 32-bit.

I am also using cmd.exe via an environment variable but directly will
also cause the same problem. Here is what my Hoekey entry looks like,

~J=Run|%COMSPEC%|||C:\ ;win+j: Command shell
~^J=Run|%COMSPEC%|||%c ;win+ctrl+j: Command shell in current
directory

I have a feeling this is due to having to install telnet afterwards as
it is not part of the basic W7 install. I will try and update my
original post with these details.

Magnum

Jan 6, 2011, 11:34:58 PM1/6/11
to hoekey
Ah, yes, well, permissions make a *whole lot* more sense, in that
case.
I'd love to have a solution at the ready, but I just got done
installing XP 64-bit, with intentions of installing Win7 64-bit
shortly..
Having used 7 64-bit, and recalling similar quirks at the prompt, I
suggest you fiddle with launching the 32-bit cmd.exe from within
\SysWOW64\ ..
Without having a native install of 7 to work on, I can't speak any
further to what permission-issues, specifically, are worth looking at.
As soon as I get this dual-boot situation hammered away, I'll reply
again with anything I dig up.
Best wishes!