Relative path for run command

androidof...@gmail.com

Oct 26, 2015, 3:27:10 AM10/26/15
to hoekey
Hi,
This group is so.......  silent. Hopefully somebody knowledgeable is monitoring it to answer me.
1. Is it possible to use relative paths in run command. This is to run hoekey and the apps from usb drives.
2. Is it possible to make it work with file managers other than the explorer? Specifically I use multicommander as my file manager and I find that the variables like %s, %S don't work in it.
3. Why the development of this incredibly versatile proggy has stopped? With the portable apps running from pen drives becoming popular, this would nicely fill the spot with its versatality and small size.

Thanks to anyone taking time to answer my queries.

Martin Courcelles

Oct 27, 2015, 10:07:10 AM10/27/15
to androidof...@gmail.com, hoekey
Oh wow,
It's so quiet that I had even forgotten about this little program.
I'm presently using Hotkeyz from Skynergy; who have also stopped
supporting this piece of software. No idea why, but you can still
find copies lying around the net.
I can't remember why I stopped using hoekey, but I'm sure there was a
plausible reason.
The biggest reason why I use Hotkeyz is because you can hide and
unhide programs, which reduces clutter when working.
As for your questions, are you wanting to refer to programs that also
reside on the USB stick?
Also, what does %s do? I'm not familiar with that command line variable.
Martin

Dan

Oct 27, 2015, 4:22:50 PM10/27/15
to hoekey
I use:

 ~_C=Run|cmd.exe|||%c        ; Command shell in current directory

Perhaps the %c would work for your purposes as well.

Timothy Rice

Oct 28, 2015, 11:29:04 AM10/28/15
to hoekey
Hey - updated to resolve two of your concerns ;)

On Monday, October 26, 2015 at 12:27:10 AM UTC-7, androidof...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,
This group is so.......  silent. Hopefully somebody knowledgeable is monitoring it to answer me.
1. Is it possible to use relative paths in run command. This is to run hoekey and the apps from usb drives.
Now it is, use %C.  Thanks for the suggestion.

2. Is it possible to make it work with file managers other than the explorer? Specifically I use multicommander as my file manager and I find that the variables like %s, %S don't work in it.
What are you specifically having an issue with?  Multicommander seemed to work for me.

3. Why the development of this incredibly versatile proggy has stopped? With the portable apps running from pen drives becoming popular, this would nicely fill the spot with its versatality and small size.
Just hasn't been any new features to add.  Last fixed vista/win7 compat, still seems to work for win8/8.1 and 10.

Timothy Rice

Oct 28, 2015, 11:38:56 AM10/28/15
to hoekey, androidof...@gmail.com
FWIW - HoeKey can hide/unhide apps

And can show a list of hidden apps:

androidof...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2015, 12:14:59 AM10/29/15
to hoekey
Hi,

Thanks for reply. I've received multiple suggestions and have replied them from gmail, but it seems that they were sent to respective personal email addresses rather than the group. If you have not received them please don't think I'm not grateful for your suggestions .

Hey - updated to resolve two of your concerns ;)
Now it is, use %C.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for continuing to improve the program. I find both %d and %c are both helpful to make it portable. It seems it has already been implemented in previous versions. I don't know how I had missed them.

2. Is it possible to make it work with file managers other than the explorer? Specifically I use multicommander as my file manager and I find that the variables like %s, %S don't work in it.
What are you specifically having an issue with?  Multicommander seemed to work for me.

My bad, I tried it again and now it works. Maybe few more suggestions:
- ability to send multiple files as arguments
- create a list of selected files and send it as argument
- ability to send the path of the parent directory of the selected file rather than the selected file itself as argument (similar to %~dpnx format in bat files)
These are mainly useful for usage in File renaming programs.

3. Why the development of this incredibly versatile proggy has stopped? With the portable apps running from pen drives becoming popular, this would nicely fill the spot with its versatality and small size.
Just hasn't been any new features to add.  Last fixed vista/win7 compat, still seems to work for win8/8.1 and 10.

I'm still on WinXP, mainly because I'm very comfortable with my present setup which I have perfected over the years, to switch. I'm slowly preferring only portable apps over the past year, so that when I eventually upgrade my win version, it will be less painful.

Your program is still light years compared to others. I don't think there is any other hotkey utility which sends the file selected in the file manager as argument, at least as far as I know. I can get rid of context menu enhancers if it supports lists and %~dpnx type file paths.

Few more feature requests (if possible);
- Assign a single hotkey to multiple commands and when that hotkey is pressed show all the possible options to select - similar to context menu but only now without having to install any context menu enhancers.

Hope my features requests are not too far fetched.
Thanks.

androidof...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2015, 12:33:36 AM10/29/15
to hoekey, androidof...@gmail.com
Also a reload/refresh button in the GUI wouln't go amiss?

androidof...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2015, 1:02:16 AM10/29/15
to hoekey, androidof...@gmail.com
Thought of few more suggestions:
- a clipboard variable
- ability to put and get text from clipboard. I can use this to copy the selected file path(s) to clipboard. For eg., %clip.set% %s would put the path to clipboard which I paste in other places.
Can think of a few more, maybe for another day.

Timothy Rice

Oct 29, 2015, 11:33:04 AM10/29/15
to hoekey
Note that %c gets the current directory of the app in the foreground.  E.g. if you have a command prompt up, it'll use the directory you're cd'ed to.  This doesn't always work as there isn't a robust API in windows to get the current directory of an arbitrary app.

%C simply gets the directory hoekey was started from.  This should always work.

I didn't add a %D, as I'm not sure that %d is all that useful.

More comments inline, thanks for the suggestions!

On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 9:14:59 PM UTC-7, androido...@gmail.com wrote:
[...]

This should already work as well.  Select multiple files and they'll each get inserted wherever %s is.

- create a list of selected files and send it as argument
- ability to send the path of the parent directory of the selected file rather than the selected file itself as argument (similar to %~dpnx format in bat files)
These are mainly useful for usage in File renaming programs.
Guess I've felt that things easily done with batch files/vbs/js/whatever might as well be done there to allow a lotta flexibility. But getting the directory of the first selected file seems simple.

[...]

Have to think about that one, I like it!

Timothy Rice

Oct 29, 2015, 11:43:36 AM10/29/15
to hoekey, androidof...@gmail.com
More inlines.

On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 10:02:16 PM UTC-7, androidof...@gmail.com wrote:
Thought of few more suggestions:
- a clipboard variable
%s is replaced with current clipboard if nothing is selected.  It would make sense to have a distinct parameter here though...

- ability to put and get text from clipboard. I can use this to copy the selected file path(s) to clipboard. For eg., %clip.set% %s would put the path to clipboard which I paste in other places.
I guess this would need to work like:
~N=Copy|Some text %s
The other way to accomplish this is having a key that inputs the desired text, e.g.
~N=Keys|Some text %s
and using that instead of ctrl-v

androidof...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2015, 1:09:55 PM10/29/15
to hoekey, androidof...@gmail.com

%s is replaced with current clipboard if nothing is selected.  It would make sense to have a distinct parameter here though...

That's new. I don't think that's documented anywhere in the help page. What more surprises have you got in your 17KB dynamite? Coming to the topic, I want to select something and send its path to the clipboard. So I need to select the file, so the above method won't work in this situation.

- ability to put and get text from clipboard. I can use this to copy the selected file path(s) to clipboard. For eg., %clip.set% %s would put the path to clipboard which I paste in other places.
I guess this would need to work like:
~N=Copy|Some text %s
The other way to accomplish this is having a key that inputs the desired text, e.g.
~N=Keys|Some text %s
and using that instead of ctrl-v

Yes, I guess that would work, it would be better if
 ~N=Copy|Some text(or)variable

Timothy Rice

Oct 30, 2015, 3:06:27 PM10/30/15
to hoekey
Whoops, turns out both of these features have been in there for a while now - but only cryptically hinted to in the changelog.  I've updated the docs to include both the Clip command and %p/%P (which pastes in the current clipboard as text).