Re: [moz-hocr-edit] hOCR editor not Tesseract compatible and not word copatible

Jim Garrison

May 27, 2011, 1:28:32 AM5/27/11
to jsb...@mimuw.edu.pl, Havjers Havjers, Jakub Wilk, moz-hocr-edit, ho...@googlegroups.com
On 05/26/2011 10:04 PM, Janusz S. Bień wrote:
> On Thu, 26 May 2011 Havjers Havjers <hav...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> I mainly work in DjVu format
>
> What about adapting moz-hocr-edit to work directly with DjVu?

inline djvu is not natively supported by mozilla/Firefox (or any other
web browser), so this would be very nontrivial to implement.

I think the remainder of this message (below) belongs on the hOCR
discussion list, which I have included

> To be more precise, what about extending hOCR format to allow links to
> DjVu page fragments instead of including the images? Such links look like this:
>
> http://poliqarp.wbl.klf.uw.edu.pl/extra/linde/index.djvu?djvuopts=&zoom=154&showposition=0.5,0.26&highlight=1190,1840,1016,50&page=p0155.djvu
> http://poliqarp.wbl.klf.uw.edu.pl/extra/linde/index.djvu?djvuopts=&zoom=154&showposition=0.5,0.26&highlight=1183,1791,1025,61&page=p0155.djvu
>
> Of course the common part should be stored only once.
>
> Then the editor may just embed the DjVu fragment in the displayed page
> (the highlight color may be configurable).
>
> If the change to hOCR format is agreed, then I hope Jakub Wilk would
> be willing to extend appropriately his djvu2hocr program bundled with
> ocrodjvu:
>
> http://jwilk.net/software/ocrodjvu
>
> Best regards
>
> Janusz
>
> P.S. Perhaps those links
>
> http://bc.klf.uw.edu.pl/177/
> http://poliqarp.wbl.klf.uw.edu.pl/
>
> may be of some interest to you.

Janusz S. Bień

May 27, 2011, 1:39:41 AM5/27/11
to Jim Garrison, Havjers Havjers, Jakub Wilk, moz-hocr-edit, ho...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 26 May 2011 Jim Garrison <j...@garrison.cc> wrote:

> On 05/26/2011 10:04 PM, Janusz S. Bień wrote:
>> On Thu, 26 May 2011 Havjers Havjers <hav...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> I mainly work in DjVu format
>>
>> What about adapting moz-hocr-edit to work directly with DjVu?
>
> inline djvu is not natively supported by mozilla/Firefox (or any other
> web browser), so this would be very nontrivial to implement.

I don't mean inline djvu, but embedding.

We embed DjVu e.g. on the welcome page of our digital library

http://bc.klf.uw.edu.pl/

and nobody never complained. Please check yourself.

Best regards

Janusz

--
,
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bien - Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra Lingwistyki Formalnej)