B@A 2024 reminders

Agnes Debrunner

Jan 3, 2024, 7:51:50 PMJan 3
to Hockeynet - Underwater Hockey International List
B@A participants and organizers,

A few reminders for Battle at Altitude 2024:

--Sign up for the Friday Battle’s Eve Potluck games by Monday, Jan 22.  Details below.

--All teams have pre-paid for 12 banquet tickets. Your team organizer must request a refund for unused tickets by Friday, Jan. 19 . Players, let your team organizer know if you want a refund before the deadline, so that the team's refund request will reach us on or before Jan 19. Refunds will go to the PayPal address that sent the original entry fee. Extra banquet tickets may be requested for $35/ticket.  After Jan 19, banquet tickets cost $70 each.  Please use ColoradoUWH...@gmail.com to request refunds or request extra tickets.

—Referee clinic on Friday.  Sign up: https://forms.gle/znh3KCHG8oCb27Mp9 More info below.

—Players, complete your USOA registration and accept your team’s invitation on UWHPortal

--T-Shirts: No pre-orders this year, so come to the sales table early before your size sells out!  $25/shirt.

BATTLE’S EVE POTLUCK TOURNAMENT:

Potluck-style games start at 1:00 on Friday, January 26, (Battle’s Eve). Get used to the pool, get used to the altitude!  Battle’s Eve games are open to anyone interested.  No need to be a Battle at Altitude participant, so even if you are not playing at B@A, you are welcome to join!

A potluck style tournament means you bring yourself and not a team - we will make the teams from the players who register.

All players should expect to play at least 4 games and will also be assigned some reffing and scorekeeping duties.

Entry fee is $20 per player.  Players need to register by Monday, January 22, before the end of the day.

Guidelines for player level:
Rank yourself as 1-10
1. New player. Has played a few games, but is still getting the hang of things.
2. Newer player, knows basic rules, basic skills
3. Newer player, comfortable in the water, team skills started
4, Solid skills, but not super experienced.
5. Solid player.  Good skills.  Comfortable at home scrimmages.
6. Good skills. Good teamwork. Can take on any player, but not necessarily win.
7. That player who can’t decide if he’s a low A level or high B level player
8. Player definitely ready for the A level
9. High level player.  Experienced at the A level
10.Player who is likely among the strongest at B@A

Any questions or comments, contact Agnes at agnesde...@icloud.com

To sign up for the Battle’s Eve Potluck Tournament:

1)   Pay your $20 fee via Paypal, or make arrangements with Agnes to pay cash at the pool. New, use Venmo!

2)   Give your name and skill level in the comments with your Paypal  or Venmo payment, or tell Agnes (via email agnesde...@icloud.com) if you choose the cash payment option.

3)   Do the above by the end of the day on Monday, Jan. 22 so we have time to work out teams and/or get extra playing area if necessary.

If you are a no-show and you don’t give a reasonably good excuse for not showing up, you will still be charged your $20 fee for being a pain in the butt.

Payment/sign-up options:

  • PAYPAL: Make a personal money transfer to our Tournament Paypal Address - ColoradoUWH...@gmail.com As always, if you incur Paypal fees (by paying with a credit card, choosing the wrong type of payment, etc), we will ask you to cover those fees.

    VENMO: to Agnes Debrunner,  @AgnesUWH
  • TO PAY WITH CASH AT THE POOL:  contact Agnes at agnesde...@icloud.com

  • Note that you DO need to sign up ahead of time! No deck-side entry.

  • Make sure you mention your player level!

We may have time for some extra pick-up games (all women, all elite, all beginners, all college, etc). Let Agnes know if you are interested in such a game.

*************************
REFEREE CLINIC

Sarah H & John Kulsa will be hosting a referee clinic Friday January 26th from 12 - 5pm before BAA officially starts on Saturday 27th. They will be using the potluck tournament as an opportunity to do water coaching with any referee that is interested.

The class will be open to anyone that wants to join.
If you have never reffed before and want to get started this is the class for you.
If you want to brush up on your reffing skills we will accommodate that also.
If you want to develop your referee coaching skills I would love to have you join us to help teach portions of the material.

The goals of this class are to expand interest in becoming and underwater hockey referee and to increase the referee skills of those already involved in the program.

Recruiting more referees is really critical to progressing our sport and improving the quality and level of our tournaments. Please share this announcement with your club players and team members so that we can maximize our referee outreach and recruitment efforts.

Depending on time and the number of players that sign up to take the course we will be covering the following topics:

  1. How to get started and build confidence
  2. Basic Hand signals
  3. What is a goal
  4. How to set up advantage pucks
  5. How to set up equal pucks
  6. The role and position of each referee at the start of each new point.
  7. Where to be in the water when the play:
  • Is on the wall
  • Is in the corner
  • Is right in front of the goal
  1. What to do when you realise you have made a mistake - in the moment and after the game is complete.
  2. How to handle frustrated players

Main takeaways will be - in water referee positioning and hand signals.

If you would like to attend this class please sign up at the link below: