Announcing Battle @ Altitude 2023

tp...@me.com

Nov 9, 2022, 7:30:42 PM11/9/22
to hock...@googlegroups.com
Hello, fellow underwater hockey enthusiasts!

The Denver Area Underwater Hockey Club (DAUHC) is pleased to announce the 17th annual Battle @ Altitude tournament. A share-able google doc version of this announcement is here

Please help us spread the word by forwarding this announcement to anybody you think might be interested!

---

This year's edition of our tournament will be held on January 28-29, 2023, at the Veteran's Memorial Aquatic Center (VMAC) in Thornton, Colorado We will be using both playing areas to accommodate up to 16 teams.

We are excited to bring back our Battle's-Eve Potluck, taking place on Friday, January 27.

In addition, there will be Level 1 and Level 2 referee clinics, planned to start between 10am and 1pm on Friday. This will be a fantastic learning opportunity for referees with referee leadership from the US, Canada, Colombia, and South Africa attending for evaluations.

Finally, the national teams also have pool time available for training starting late morning on Friday.

The final details of all the Friday activities are TBD.

B@A REGISTRATION:

DO NOT PAY YET!
As we have done for the previous several editions of B@A, we will be selling registration spots through the EventBrite website. We can accommodate a total of 16 teams (including 2 Colorado teams). There will be a two-team waitlist after the available spots are taken. Only one registration spot may be purchased per person, and spots are non-transferable and not to be re-sold. Please note the following very important details:

Registration opens at: Wednesday, November 16, 2022 at Noon Mountain time (that's 11am Pacific, 1pm Central, 2pm Eastern)

Registration website: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/battle-at-altitude-2023-tickets-461878600327

Registration payment methods accepted: Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover

Registration Deposit Amount: $100. This non-refundable deposit secures your team's spot and will count towards your team's entry fee, provided payment in full is made by the team-payment deadline (failure to pay in full may result in your team's spot being offered to a team on the waiting list). Once your deposit is paid and your team's spot is secured, you will be sent details for submitting your roster and how to pay the remainder of your entry fee via check, Paypal, or Transferwise.

Total Entry Fee cost: $1300 per team. Your $100 registration fee counts towards this total. Late fees may be added - see below
Ref Opt-Out cost: $200, available to the first N teams, first-paid first-served (N to be determined based on total number of entries received) - see below

Team-payment deadline: Sunday, December 11, 2021 at 5pm, Mountain time

Any registered teams that have not paid in full by the above deadline will be moved to the end of the waitlist (and their entry fees will increase by $50). We will then start offering spots to teams at the front of the waitlist for the original entry fee ($1300 total). Waitlisted teams will always have 5 days to pay in full or be moved to the back of the waitlist (and have their entry fees increased by $50). We will continue in this manner until Friday, January 13, 2023 or until all spots are paid for or no more teams are interested.

POOL LOCATION & TIMES:

The pool is the Veteran's Memorial Aquatic Center (VMAC) at 5310 E 136th Ave, Thornton, CO 80241 (same as usual)

VMAC features crystal-clear water and the fastest UWH on the continent, with state-of-the-art sport court and built in walls and goals. The two courts are ~7 feet deep, and 25 yards long by 15 yards wide. The tournament pucks will use polished stainless sliders that provide one of the fastest and smoothest playing experiences in the world.

B@A will run:
Saturday: 8am to 9pm
Sunday: 8am to 5pm

Players should plan to be present for all of the hours listed above. We will not re-arrange the schedule to accommodate teams whose players are not present for some games.

REFFING & OPT-OUTS:

This year we are planning to follow the Tri-Referee Rotation as used in the last few B@A's and Nationals hosted in Colorado. This means Dedicated Referees (hopefully level II or above) in the water and on deck for every game! As before, the other reffing slots will be staffed by qualified Hybrid Referees and Player Referees (Minnesota Rule) with some timing help by our fantastic volunteers. If you are interested in being a Dedicated Referee (travel and lodging expenses covered + per game stipend) or a Hybrid Referee (per game stipend) please contact Eric Straily (estr...@gmail.com).
For an additional $200 fee, your team can opt-out of Player Referee (Minnesota Rule) referee responsibilities entirely. There are up to 8 team opt-out slots available, the final number of such slots is TBD depending on the number of EventBrite Tickets purchased. These opt-out slots are handled on a first-paid first-served basis. This fee is refundable if your team does not secure one of the final number of opt-out slots. All other teams will still be responsible for providing a  Player Referee after their games are played.

VIDEO AND TOURNAMENT MANAGEMENT:

Again this year, we are happy to feature the complete Atlantis Sports video streaming and time/score management system to provide free live and recorded game footage and integration with UWHscores.com. The camera system will be recording every game, but depends on a driver to control the camera. We will seek out volunteers to help, *however* it is your team’s responsibility to arrange drivers for your games, if desired.

LODGING:

Hotel information and block rates to come very soon

BANQUET:

There will be a banquet Sunday after the final games. Information and pricing to come

SKI-O-RAMA:

Agnes is once again offering an opportunity for anyone coming to Colorado for B@A to also experience Colorado outside of the pool. You will have the opportunity to ski, sled, skate, XC ski, hike or just hang out.  All of this fun takes place about 1 ½ hours’ drive (assuming no snowstorm) away from VMAC in Frisco, Colorado. Skiing is at Copper Mountain, but there are also several other ski areas close by. Unfortunately, the 2-for-1 coupons we got in the past are no longer available, but we’ll try and secure any discounts that we can. Housing is provided for up to 20 people for 3 nights (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday) following the tournament. There are also hotels nearby if you want more than a very basic place to sleep. The free housing is in a private residence.

Rides can hopefully be arranged amongst attendees. In the past we have been able to arrange carpools to Frisco and back to the airport. Worst case, there are also busses. Agnes will help arrange rides, but ultimately that will be up to you to finalize.

Please contact Agnes at agnesde...@icloud.com with any questions or to let her know that you are interested and to reserve your spot.  A text to 303-885-8443 is also fine, but identify yourself or you will likely be ignored.

ADDITIONAL DETAILS:

All standard USOA-sanctioned tournament rules will apply. All 2023 USOA dues and waivers should be taken care of through Underwater Society of America prior to your arrival in Denver. Please contact the UWH Committee with any registration questions, at sup...@usauwh.com

B@A WEBSITE:
For regularly-updated tournament information, go here:
https://battleataltitude.weebly.com

Questions, comments, etc, please email us ColoradoUnde...@gmail.com