Women's elite tryout announcement

Leah Ettema

Mar 22, 2019, 4:36:14 PM3/22/19
to usauw...@yahoogroups.com, 2018 UWH Womens Training, 2020-uwh-wom...@googlegroups.com, usunderwa...@yahoogroups.com, hock...@googlegroups.com

Dear underwater hockey community,

We are excited to start the selection process for the 2020 women's elite team! We encourage any female player who is interested in high-level hockey to attend tryouts. Both tryout events will be cost shared (see below for more information).

We will send more tryout specifics to the 2020 elite team training Google Group. If you are interested in trying out for the women’s elite team, please join the group (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/2020-uwh-womens-training) or send coach Phil an email requesting to join (see contact info below).

Tryout 1:

Location: Milwaukee (Brown Deer), WI

Dates: July 6th and 7th, 2019

Times: Saturday 8am-3pm with a team event Saturday evening, Sunday 10am-3pm

Registration:

       Early Bird: May 25th, $70

       Regular: June 8th, $120

       After the Deadline: $140

      Send to: usawo...@gmail.com

*All deposits will be credited at $120 in the common-costs cost share (calculated separately from the transportation cost-share, see below)

       Airport: Milwaukee or Chicago

Cost share deadline: June 8th

Tryout 2:

Location: Menlo Park, CA

Dates: September 21st and 22nd, 2019

Times: Saturday 10am-5pm, Sunday 10am-3pm

Registration: Details to come closer to event

How to register:

PayPal tryout registration money to usawo...@gmail.com. Please let us know if you have any concerns about costs or need an alternate payment method. We do not want finances to be a barrier!

Cost share:

To receive full credit for your personal costs in the cost share for tryout 1, please send the steering committee (usawo...@gmail.com) your flight confirmation email (including times and cost) or your intent to drive (with estimated distance) by June 8th, the registration deadline.  If you have selected a more expensive flight for personal reasons, please tell the steering committee the portion of the flight cost that reflects the cost for hockey travel. We expect everyone to be honest, respect other players, and minimize costs.

Also, it is often cheaper to fly to Chicago and carpool to Milwaukee. Please consider this option when booking your flights. We will try to coordinate rides to and from the Chicago airports.

This is our cost-share policy for both tryouts:

Common-costs cost-share:

All common costs (pool, food, coach's travel/lodging, etc.) will be pooled and divided by the number of players attending to calculate an average, with each player then being responsible for that average cost.  Deposit credits are applied to determine each player's final common-costs balance.

Travel-costs cost-share:

All reported travel costs are subject to review and possible modification/denial by the committee.

If you report your travel costs by the deadline OR your approved travel costs are less than or equal to the average travel costs of all players reporting by the deadline, then you will be a full-fledged member of the transportation cost-share, meaning your approved travel costs will be added to the pool of travel costs, and you will represent one additional member of the pool for the purposes of computing average travel cost.

If you report your travel costs after the deadline AND your approved travel costs are greater than the average travel costs of all players reporting by the deadline, then you will be excluded from the transportation cost-share.  This means your travel costs will NOT be pooled with the others, and you will not represent an additional member of the transportation cost-share pool for the purposes of computing average travel cost. You will have paid your own travel costs and will not receive an additional balance (either owed or due) for travel costs after the final reconciliation.

Please email the steering committee if you have any questions.

Tryout notes:

It is your responsibility to demonstrate your skills to the coach and selectors. Attending tryout events is the best way to do this. However, other options include traveling to the coach or selectors to participate in practices or sending videos of your play. If you will miss a tryout event, we encourage you to reach out to coach Phil to discuss other options for demonstrating your abilities.

If you have any questions about how to train, ask coach Phil or any former Worlds player (we are all happy to talk about UWH anytime, anywhere). We will also be launching a blog with training tips. If you have any topics you'd like us to discuss, please let us know.

Please send any other questions or concerns to the steering committee. We are here to help and facilitate high-level US women’s underwater hockey!

Contact Info

Coach Phil Hickey: perphec...@gmail.com

Beth Ann Morley: bamo...@outlook.com

Katrina Finley: katrin...@gmail.com

Leah Ettema: lfet...@gmail.com

Tyera Eulberg: teul...@gmail.com

Thank you,

Women's Elite Steering Committee (Beth Ann, Katrina, Leah, and Tyera) and Coach Phil