VLC Streamer used to work and now it doesn't

Jeff Ward

May 17, 2021, 10:56:07 AM5/17/21
to Hobbyist Software Forum
This is a scenario where the iPhone isn’t connected to the ‘wrong wifi’ which has already been covered.
VLC Streamer used to work and now it doesn't. I used to be able to stream from a PC running Windows 10 with VLC Streamer to an iPhone running VLCStreamer. Now, in “Visible Computers”, VLCStreamer continuously shows “Scanning…”. I added another entry for the PC manually by IP address but the settings for it are the same as for the previously saved remote that used to work. When I try to connect to either entry (which go to the same computer), it just shows “Connecting” and a blank list where I used to be able to select a movie. I’ve gone through “VLC Streamer Connection Testing” (https://hobbyistsoftware.com/vlcstreamer-test?interfaces=Ethernet,Ethernet%202&ips=192.168.123.4,169.254.2.137&app=vlcstreamer&port=54340) and all steps passed. I don’t know why 169.254.2.137 was included in the URL because it isn’t my public IP address. When I ping 169.254.2.137, I get “Destination host unreachable” but I wasn’t expecting to find it residing on my end anyway. I’m not using a firewall or anti-virus that didn’t come with Windows. The iPhone browser shows the page “This is the VLC Streamer test page” when I go to 192.168.123.4:54340 which is the correct address and port. I checked the router settings and can’t find an obvious change or indicator of a problem. Windows Defender Firewall shows “Allowed apps and features”: VLC Streamer is checked for Private and Public. Bonjour service is running and I’m just guessing that VLC Streamer may need it but I don’t know other services that may need to be running and it’s possible that some may have been disabled since VLC Streamer last worked. I’ve restarted both the PC and iPhone several times with no change in symptoms. What more can I do?