Streamer converts without audio when choosing second audio track

Peter Schildwächter

May 31, 2020, 7:34:33 PM5/31/20
to Hobbyist Software Forum
I have a MP4 movie file with English (Audio Track 1) and German (Audio Track 2) language. Both audio tracks play well in newest VLC on my Mac (MBP Mid 2012, OSX 10.13.6). The audio language in "Vlc Streamer" [5.25 (2632)] on my Mac is set to "Deutsch (de,German,Deutsch)". To convert I choose the movie MP4 from my iPad (Pro 12.9" 2020) VLCStreamer app [6.14 (171)] and choose Audio Track 2 (labelled "German"). Playing/streaming/saving results in no audio. The same if I choose "play with VLC" (iPad app). If I choose the first track ("English") or "Standard" I can hear the English Audio Track on my iPad. Is this a bug? How can I get the second audio track running in my movie on the iPad?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Confused Vorlon

Jun 1, 2020, 5:15:48 AM6/1/20
to Hobbyist Software Forum
Hi Peter,
I'm guessing here as I don't have access to your file, but the odds are that the two tracks are in different formats - and VLC just isn't transcoding the german audio track properly.
That can happen even in cases where VLC can play the track (for reasons I don't really understand)

You can inspect the tracks by opening in VLC, then opening menu/window/media information

that'll show you the encoding for each track for your interest.

sorry I don't have a solution

Peter Schildwächter

Jun 1, 2020, 10:34:40 AM6/1/20
to Hobbyist Software Forum
Thanks for your answer. I can't see a big difference in the audio streams, only a lower bit number (see attached screenshot). I helped myself now by encoding the MP4 again with "HandBrake" (0.9.8) with German as the only audio track. This works now. Thanks again.
Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-01 um 16.30.09.png

Peter Schildwächter

Jun 1, 2020, 10:37:31 AM6/1/20
to Hobbyist Software Forum
Oh, and stream 1 says "channels: stereo" and stream 2 says "description: stereo". Perhaps something was miscoded here.

Confused Vorlon

Jun 1, 2020, 10:47:03 AM6/1/20
to Hobbyist Software Forum
sometimes the track type helps - but sometimes is it is simply that there is an error in the audio track.

VLC is _much_ better at ignoring errors and keeping going when it is in playback mode compared to when it is in transcoding mode.

Peter Schildwächter

Jun 1, 2020, 3:34:49 PM6/1/20
to Hobbyist Software Forum
ok, thanks :)