VLC-Remote YouTube behaviour

Steffen Stubenrauch

Oct 15, 2020, 3:09:39 PM10/15/20
to Hobbyist Software Forum
Hello!

Somehow the VlcRemote on my Ipad has changed, when I am using the YouTube interface.
Before I was able to select a video in the search results then it got maximized inside the VlcRemot app. Then I was able to choose to play it right there inside VlcRemote on the iPad pressing the play-button on top of the video, or I could press the small play button, underneath the video to start the youtube video on my big screen.

Now, as soon as I tap on a video from the list, it autoplays on my big screen and I am not able to play it inside VlcRemote anymore - the play button on top of the video is not working.
Also the small play button under the video changed and it looks like I can choose between play and add now, but it actually doesnt do anything:

2020-10-15 20.58.12.jpg

Is this intended? Or is there an update I don´t know about? Can I somewho roll it back to the way it was?

Cheers for any help!!

Thank you!

Problem summary:

What are the steps to produce the issue?

What did you expect to happen?

What actually happens?

Which version of the app are you using?
(iPhone, iPad, Android - which version)

Which helper version are you using?
(Mac, Windows - which version)

Confused Vorlon

Oct 19, 2020, 6:10:33 AM10/19/20
to Hobbyist Software Forum
Hi Steffen,

This is an intended update. Having the a separate small button to actually 'send' the video to VLC has caused confusion for ages. My thinking is that this is a remote control - so if you click 'play' in any form, then the playback should happen on the computer.

The play/add button should change whether playing a youtube video starts it up immediately, or adds it to the playlist.
It works correctly in my testing. Can you double check that it isn't working for you?

thanks.

Steffen Stubenrauch

Nov 17, 2020, 3:13:14 PM11/17/20
to Hobbyist Software Forum
Hi,

and thanks for getting back to me - ok that makes sense, now that you laid it out for me :)

and yes, it works to toggle the add/play button.

One thing, that doesn´t work though, is to play the video inside the remote on my ipad. Is this also intended? I really loved that feature and used it alot.
Also - how do you manage that by watching youtube via VLC that no commercials show up? This is so great compared to watching youtube directly...

Thank so much for your work!!

Confused Vorlon

Nov 19, 2020, 6:44:12 AM11/19/20
to Hobbyist Software Forum
Hi,

regarding adverts - I have no idea. That magic is all in VLC itself!

re playing on the iPad - that's an interesting one! It has been something of an ongoing battle to stop the website playing in the device. My logic has always been that this is a remote control - so if you press play, then you want it to play in VLC.
I haven't always been very succesfull with this (and Youtube keeps changing and breaking things!)

It's interesting to hear that you actually like the 'broken' behaviour. Can you elaborate a bit more on how you use it? Why do you not want it playing on VLC, or why do you not just play in the youtube app?

thanks.

Steffen Stubenrauch

Nov 21, 2020, 1:30:50 PM11/21/20
to Hobbyist Software Forum
Hello,

well I use the "broken behaviour" mostly if my wife, or my kids are watching something else on the big screen, which I just put up for them with the vlcremote and I am checking my subscriptions on youtube.. I dont like the regular vlc-app for the ipad and I think you cannot use it to watch youtube. The youtube app itself is almost unusable, because of the horrific load of commercials they feed you with.
So watching youtube via your remotevlc-app is(was for the "broken behaviour") the best - no commercials and all the video controls I am used to anyway..
Hope this helps!
Cheers from Hamburg!

Confused Vorlon

Nov 23, 2020, 7:34:21 AM11/23/20
to Hobbyist Software Forum
I'm surprised there is a difference when viewing youtube within the app. It is just a web-view of the Youtube mobile site...

Steffen Stubenrauch

Nov 27, 2020, 6:45:59 AM11/27/20
to Hobbyist Software Forum
so am I the only one, who is able to watch YouTube without commercials via VLC/VLCRemote?