Displaying UTF-8 characters

Daniel Ross

May 21, 2020, 5:33:40 AM5/21/20
to Hobbyist Software Forum
Problem summary:
VLC Remote will only display Basic Latin characters

What are the steps to produce the issue?
try to view any album/track with é, å, î, ü, etc...

What did you expect to happen?
To see the character

What actually happens?
The entity is displayed, i.e. Ë

Which version of the app are you using?
iPhone & Android

Which helper version are you using?
None, streaming from rpi

Confused Vorlon

May 21, 2020, 5:44:48 AM5/21/20
to Hobbyist Software Forum
I'm not seeing that in android or iOS.
Which version of VLC are you using?
Which version of VLC Remote?

Daniel Ross

May 21, 2020, 6:01:37 AM5/21/20
to Hobbyist Software Forum
VLC media player 3.0.10

iOS App 10.2 (94)

Android 2.4.1

Confused Vorlon

May 21, 2020, 6:43:35 AM5/21/20
to Hobbyist Software Forum
Can you double check on iOS - I'm not seeing that (with the same version of VLC and the iOS app)

The android app is currently on version 5.32 - could you be using someone else's Remote control?

Daniel Ross

May 21, 2020, 7:31:31 AM5/21/20
to Hobbyist Software Forum
Can't get a more updated Android app with the OS that runs on a OnePlus 3, it's capped at 2.4.1

Screenshots attached of both iOS and ANdroid. There is an album (folder) that should be shown as "NNAMDÏ - BRAT" but on the app it is displayed as "NNAMDI;206;134".

Also included a screenshot of VLC desktop which displays correctly.
IMG_4001.PNG
Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 12.29.59.png
signal-attachment-2020-05-21-122622.jpeg

Confused Vorlon

May 21, 2020, 9:17:53 AM5/21/20
to Hobbyist Software Forum
ok - so you're not using VLC Remote on android.

But - you're still seeing the problem on iOS which is weird. I even tested with VLC on ubuntu and it works correctly.

Can you show me the file listing on your computer. I'm wondering if that will give clues.

Also - please paste the result of opening

http://localhost:8080/requests/playlist.json
(username is blank, password is vlcremote )

Confused Vorlon

May 21, 2020, 9:23:16 AM5/21/20
to Hobbyist Software Forum
one random thought - could you try with your VPN off.
It really shouldn't be changing anything, but I'm clutching at straws.

Also - what device and iOS version are you using? I'm seeing an underline in the bottom row (browse, controls) which shouldn't be there.

Daniel Ross

May 21, 2020, 10:27:50 AM5/21/20
to Hobbyist Software Forum
iOS 13.4.1

{
          "id":"71",
          "type":"leaf",
          "name":"NNAMDI;204;136 - BRAT",
          "uri":"file:///Backup/Music/NNAMDI%3B204%3B136%20-%20BRAT",
          "duration":-1,
          "ro":"rw"
}

OK, so it looks like my dir is actually labelled this way. It is a copy on a server, courtesy of rdiff-backup. So, it look like my backup utility isn't passing non-Latin characters, rather than your app.

Thank you very much for you time and attention, sorry for wasting yours. Knowing that JSON file is accessible is super useful!