Why does this app rip off the VLC name and icon?

kerosene

Oct 11, 2020, 5:00:17 AM10/11/20
to Hobbyist Software Forum
I just paid for this app thinking it was VLC - which I haven't used for years.

Was a bit surprised to see it wasn't free anymore, but figured it a worthy cause. Then I open app and it doesn't do what I wanted - connect to SMB network drive.

Then I find the app has nothing to do with VLC... WTF? Why are you using the NAME and logo of the original FREE VLC ?? You think maybe it will cause some confusion?

Now I have to go through hassle of getting refund. And I'll give you a 1 star on my way out too.

Confused Vorlon

Oct 11, 2020, 2:01:25 PM10/11/20
to Hobbyist Software Forum
Hi,

the app is called 'VLC Remote' because it is a remote control for VLC.
Before picking the name and icon - I checked with the VLC dev group on their chat.
(Incidentally - I'm also a minor contributor to VLC itself)

The reason I checked is not because I had to (the logo is GPL after all) - but because I thought it was polite.

The app appears in the store roughly like this:

VLC Remote
Remote control for VLC
VLC Remote® lets you remotely control your VLC Media Player on your Mac or PC.

Clearly you were confused, and that's obviously a shame - but I'm not sure how I can make it clearer that VLC Remote is a remote control.

The app does of course have a free version which allows you to control almost all of VLC's functionality for free. Perhaps you should give it a go.

As to getting your refund - just click on the 'report a problem' link when Apple send you your email receipt. They'll sort that out in no time.

jaywal...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2020, 11:53:21 PM10/14/20
to Hobbyist Software Forum
I'm confused? No. YOU are confused. I'm talking about your app called "VLC Streamer Pro".

While the word "remote" is obviously an app designed to control VLC, "streamer" is more ambiguous, and as far as I can tell does not interface with the main VLC app. Maybe it does, but it's not clear.

I wonder if you "checked with the VLC dev group" for every app you've released that uses the VLC name and logo? Or just asked once, and now keep pumping out the apps?  I don't need an answer. The fact is, you've not only created confusion in the app store, but also in a simple discussion about your "VLC app" where you don't even know the app I'm referring to.  I think that says everything needed to be said.