Learning English at 4

Peter Van Dijck

May 19, 2011, 1:04:56 PM5/19/11
to hn-parents
Our kid is almost 4 and she speaks Spanish (we live in South America). I've talked a lot of Dutch to her, and although she doesn't speak it, she understands a surprising amount. She has English "classes" at school and knows perhaps 20 words in English.

We're about to move to NYC, so she'll be learning English. Any tips/methods/experiences to help her along with that?

Thanks!
peter

--
http://petervandijck.com/
http://twitter.com/petervandijck

Nahlyee Van Brunt

May 19, 2011, 1:17:36 PM5/19/11
to hn-pa...@googlegroups.com
My daughter will be 4 in June. We live in Central America and will be going to California in the fall, so I'm trying to teach her English as well.

I'm using a combination of father/daughter games, and a healthy dose of iPad apps. She loves Dora the Explorer which she watches on the TV in Spanish, then on the iPad in English. She also enjoys the "Dora's Skywriting Adventure" app from Nickelodeon.

During father/daughter play time, she's learning commands like "pick up" and "give me".

It's only been a couple weeks, but she's begun to use the commands outside of playtime.

- Nahlyee

Peter Van Dijck

May 19, 2011, 1:26:35 PM5/19/11
to hn-pa...@googlegroups.com
Good tips. We've been doing the "como se dice" game: me or her say "como se dice ..."? and then the other person has to say it in English.

Nahlyee Van Brunt

May 19, 2011, 2:20:38 PM5/19/11
to hn-pa...@googlegroups.com
Great video. Thanks for sharing!

Another thing that she loves is songs. Right now we're learning the "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes" song. If you aren't familiar, here's a video to get the melody and gestures down. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8FwBSITW-4

- Nahlyee