Book recs for teaching kids to read?

Sam Livingston-Gray

Oct 10, 2011, 11:07:43 PM10/10/11
to hn-pa...@googlegroups.com
Hello, HN parents-

My three-year-old daughter has all of her letters down, and can spell
her name and the names of a few of her friends. We've asked her if
she wants to learn how to read books, and she says "yeah!" ...and
we're not sure where to go from here.

Any book recommendations? (Pretend we have very full lives and can
only manage one or two books.)

Thanks,
-Sam

Tom Janofsky

Oct 11, 2011, 8:43:51 AM10/11/11
to hn-pa...@googlegroups.com
We've had great fun with the Bob books both in print and on the iPad for my son.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bob-books-1-reading-magic/id403753501?mt=8

Does anyone else have suggestions? My son totally grooves on the
feedback from the iPad, but app discovery in this area has been hard
for me.

--tom

Niels Olson

Oct 11, 2011, 11:06:08 PM10/11/11
to hn-pa...@googlegroups.com
I would read my kids their favorite books, following the words with my
fingers, and intentionally get words wrong, eg,

Me: "George was so excited when he saw the man in the yellow palm tree
turning the c..."

Young'un: "DAAaaad! Man in the yellow HAT! There's no palm tree. You're silly."

They start paying attention, and figure out those bugs on the page you
keep pointing at might have something to do with.

Alison Rowland

Oct 12, 2011, 12:09:40 AM10/12/11
to hn-pa...@googlegroups.com
Dr. Seuss books (also read with a parent or caregiver running their finger along with the words) are great for learning to read by osmosis, because all of the made-up words mean you have no choice but to read them phonetically. All the rhyming is probably beneficial for figuring out common letters and sounds, too.

Mike Danko

Oct 12, 2011, 11:19:03 AM10/12/11
to hn-pa...@googlegroups.com
I'd just go to the library and let them pick something from an
appropriate section. That way, they're more excited about the whole
process of discovering reading.

Although, this can backfire if you get diverted. Once my son picked up
a copy of the Illiad when he was three. When I asked him what it was
about he replied "Jesus and his pet fox".

Josh

Oct 12, 2011, 10:05:32 PM10/12/11
to HN Parents
I recommend "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons" (http://
www.amazon.com/Teach-Your-Child-Read-Lessons/dp/0671631985).

The book requires you to commit 20 minutes of your day to teaching
your daughter. I am on the 15th lesson, my daughter learned her first
word in week 1 and in week 2 she is now reading short sentences. The
book is excellent, based on research, simple to follow, and is
becoming a bonding experience for my daughter and I.

If you are serious about getting your daughter to read then this is
the way to go, and much cheaper than Hooked on Phonics.

Good luck, and let us know what you choose.

Peter Van Dijck

Oct 12, 2011, 10:13:52 PM10/12/11
to hn-pa...@googlegroups.com
I have a question that's been bothering me for a while.

We just moved to the US, and have a 4-year old. She's learning English really fast.

In Europe, I'd just leave the reading and writing to the school. They'd start learning at 7. Then again, in Europe, you don't have 14 year olds who can hardly read or write.

My worry with teaching her to read and write now (I'm sure she could do it, and it'd be fun), is that she'll get bored when the teacher starts to teach her for real in a few years. I don't want her to be more bored in class than she'll likely already be. (I have a fairly low opinion of US schools, I think they expect too little of the kids.)

Does anyone have thoughts or experience to share about that aspect of teaching your kids to read at an early age before they learn to do so in school?

Thanks!
Peter

araneae

Oct 12, 2011, 10:46:09 PM10/12/11
to hn-pa...@googlegroups.com
I went through public schooling (that's private, if you're from the
U.K., but probably not from your name- it's gov't schooling) and
parents absolutely taught their kids to read at home. I don't suspect
it's any different in that regard.

In terms of quality, it varies wildly depending on where you live. My
parents moved to a wealthy town specifically for the school system.
The federal government pays a certain amount for education, but towns
get income from property taxes and often use this to supplement the
school. So as a result my public school education was one of the best
in the state; the millionaire kids in my town went to public, not
private schools.

If you move to a place that's poor, with low property taxes, you'll
likely have a worse experience. In the area I live now, the current
town I live in has an excellent school system, so much so that housing
ads usually advertise that their in the correct zone. The bordering
town is poor, the rents are about 50% lower, and the school system is
awful.

Peter Van Dijck

Oct 12, 2011, 10:50:56 PM10/12/11
to hn-pa...@googlegroups.com
Apart from the quality of the school, if parents teach their kids to read at school, don't the kids get bored at school?

Assume the schools are decent (we live in a "rich" area).

araneae

Oct 12, 2011, 10:57:02 PM10/12/11
to hn-pa...@googlegroups.com
Kids get bored at school, whether they're ahead or behind the class
curve, and even if they're on top of it. It's inevitable. It's silly
to retard your kid's growth in a futile attempt to stop it. The only
solution is some form of customized education, and even then you will
have boredom.

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:50 PM, Peter Van Dijck

David Grant

Oct 13, 2011, 1:27:18 AM10/13/11
to hn-pa...@googlegroups.com
I'm sorry but that book looks awful. You don't need a book like that
to learn how to read. Parents don't need to set out to teach their
kids how to read, just like you don't need to teach kids how to talk
or walk. Reading should be fun, not a chore and not something that
needs to be done as fast as possible like it's a race to see whose can
learn to read the fastest. Read together with your child often and get
some books with just a few words used often and progress from there.

Dave

Chris

Oct 13, 2011, 10:12:16 AM10/13/11
to HN Parents
Regarding your " Then again, in Europe, you don't have 14 year olds
who can hardly read or write." comment:

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/jul2008/gb20080711_958247.htm

A growing proportion of teenagers in the EU have poor literacy skills,
a fresh European Commission report has found.

In 2006, almost a quarter of 15-year olds (24.1 percent) qualified as
"low performers in reading"—an increase of 21.3 percent when compared
to data from 2000. Boys (30.4 percent) scored almost twice as badly as
girls (17.6 percent).

On Oct 13, 3:13 am, Peter Van Dijck <petervandi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In Europe, I'd just leave the reading and writing to the school. They'd
> start learning at 7. Then again, in Europe, you don't have 14 year olds who
> can hardly read or write.
>
> Thanks!
> Peter

Peter Van Dijck

Oct 13, 2011, 10:47:48 AM10/13/11
to hn-pa...@googlegroups.com
Yes, my apologies for the typecasting of the US school system :)

I'm just really trying to figure out whether I should starting our 4-year old reading and writing. I just learnt in school myself :) But then again, the idea appeals to me...

Josh

Oct 13, 2011, 11:18:44 AM10/13/11
to HN Parents
David, you don't need to teach your child to read, the school system
will do that for you. However, if you *want* (just as the original
poster asked) to teach your child to read then this book is a great
resource. I personally believe that parent's should ensure their
children become avid readers as that is the single largest determining
factor to their child's future. (I recently read that the state of
Arizona can predict future prison needs based on Grade 4 literacy
levels). The key take away is to develop a passion for reading in your
kids, any way that you can.

Now, regarding the book in particular. As I said it's proving to be a
bonding exercise to work through the 'homework' together with my
daughter. She has been read to every single day of her life and she
often grabs her books and tells herself the stories as best as she can
remember them. So, she herself wants to read, and is very excited to
make progress in our daily lessons. So, those 20 minutes in lessons
each day are very rewarding for both of us, more so than the 20
minutes that we spend simply reading together.

Michael Sims

Oct 13, 2011, 12:43:52 PM10/13/11
to hn-pa...@googlegroups.com
Just a general response to the thread -

I've seen the "Teach your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons" and it
didn't appeal to me at all. They have a very odd system which seems
unnatural and, well, odd. I thought it unlikely to be of much use.

As far as I can tell the best way to teach your child to read is to
read with it daily. I visit the library more than once per week and
bring home new kid books each time. So we're always reading something
new and interesting. When the kid expresses interest, tell it that
that if it learns to read, it can read these books and all their
interesting stories itself. And... you're done. That's all that is
required for the vast majority of children, I suspect - exposure to
books of an appropriate reading level.

If I was crazy about it, I'd suggest making sure the text of the kids
books were printed in Courier New rather than handwritten scrawls, and
so on, so that the kids can learn the words easily. But it will even
out over time, might even be more helpful (because in the end they do
have to learn to parse handwritten scrawls as letters and words).

Average age to learn to read simple books is six and a half. That's
six and a half, not five, not four, not three, and not two. Do not be
crazy about trying to teach your 3-year-old how to read. Do not
accept internet responses as being indicative of reality; if you ask a
mailing list "When did you learn to read?", and the average age of
learning to read on the list was 6.5 years, the responses you'll get
will be:

"age 2"
"age 3"
"age 2"

and the 12 people who learned to read at age 8 and age 9 will all
refrain from replying.

--
Michael Sims

Ben Hazelwood

Oct 13, 2011, 12:50:02 PM10/13/11
to hn-pa...@googlegroups.com
Bob Books and Dr Seuss worked for our children.

We also use "Phonics Pathways" by Dolores Hiskes to re-inforce phonics.

David Grant

Oct 13, 2011, 1:47:53 PM10/13/11
to hn-pa...@googlegroups.com

Sorry you misunderstood my post, my fault not yours, I wasn't clear enough. What I was trying to say is that one does not need to give a child such explicit instruction on how to read. But of course parents should teach their kids to read, I just don't think they should do it by using an instructional book on how to teach reading in 20 minutes per day, or by lecturing to them, or in any way that feels far removed from actual story reading. It's more important to make reading fun. The "building blocks" of reading are vocabulary, storytelling, and phonological awareness. There are lots of ways to help these develop, which will help reading. I highly recommend the book "Einstein Never Used Flash Cards."

Dave