US public education [was re: Book recs for teaching kids to read?]

Sam Livingston-Gray

Oct 13, 2011, 12:53:33 PM10/13/11
to hn-pa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, all, for the responses!

Peter, I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think
withholding knowledge from your daughter is the answer.

I had a mixed experience with the California public education system.
I was already reading when I got to first grade, and had skipped
kindergarten, so the transition was a little weird for me.  As far as
I was concerned, my first-grade teacher was there to occupy our
attention for a while, then hand out worksheets.  The worksheets were
to be blazed through as fast as possible so that I could go get a book
from the big shelf by the window.

I was somewhat bored for 1st through 5th grades, highly engaged in 6th
grade (my parents moved me to this school:
http://www.sanjuan.edu/MissionAvenueOpen.cfm?subpage=925 ), mostly
bored and frustrated in 7th and 8th grade, somewhat interested in a
few of my classes in 9th and 10th grades, and gave up on high school
in 11th grade.

I got the legal equivalent of a HS diploma
(http://www.chspe.net/about/). I took the test at the beginning of
11th grade, then dropped out when I [finally] got the results back.
(That was a fun test -- multiple choice, and one of the questions was
"what is 100% of 12?") I had flunked two semesters of community
college before my high school classmates graduated. (I didn't
seriously pursue college until I was 27.)

Looking back, I actually think my public school experience would've
been worse if my parents had let the system teach me to read. Being
able to read well above grade level gave me access to a much broader
range of material from the school library (science, Lewis Carroll,
Greek mythology in primary school, then tons and tons of fantasy
novels as I got older) that gave me interesting stuff to do when my
regular schoolwork was dull. That contrast helped me understand that
what was wrong was not "learning" in general, but certain aspects of
the school system in particular.

-Sam