Re: Startup Weekend Chicago needs developers!

1 view

Clint Laskowski

May 16, 2012, 10:07:45 AM5/16/12
to hn-ch...@googlegroups.com, Adam Haun, hn-mil...@googlegroups.com, hn-ma...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Hn-Chicago.

I attended SWMadison back on April 27-29. It was such an awesome experience (it was my first Startup Weekend), that I'm now working to bring Startup Weekend to Milwaukee (see http://signup.startupweekendmilwaukee.org).

But, I have to agree with, and comment on, Tim Jahn's message to this group ...

At SWMadison, there seemed to be a mild shortage of capable web app developers, and a serious shortage of designers (I think there were only 3 designers out of 100+ people)! Of course, this detracts from the Startup Weekend experience because the development of a semi-functional prototype web and/or mobile app is supposed to be one of the weekend's core activities.

I'm concerned the same thing will happen with SWMilwaukee (dates have not been finalized, but November 16-18, 2012, is looking like it will be the winner of our survey at bit.ly/swmke2012survey1), so my plan is to reach out to as many developer/designer (Meetup) groups as possible.

So, I'm wondering, does anyone have ideas on how to increase participation of developers and designers in a Startup Weekend event, especially in the upper-Midwest? What can we offer or do to attract web/mobile app developers?

I think such a discussion can help both SWChicago6 and SWMilwaukee, and any other SW organizer.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and feedback.

-- Clint

Clint Laskowski, CISSP, CISM

blog: http://www.tek414.com << new!
twitter: @Clint326

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 8:44 AM, Tim Jahn <tim...@gmail.com> wrote:
Chicago developers!

The next Startup Weekend is coming up the weekend of June 1-3 and my buddy Adam Haun is organizing.  He mentioned they're looking for more developers to come join in the fun and create something cool.

If you're interested, all the details are here:

- Tim