Mobile Users. Mobile Ads, the next wave

Fred Grott

Jun 15, 2012, 7:32:08 AM6/15/12
to hn-chicago
I have stated before that web search is about determining user intent.
That only works because a company took the risk of structuring and
organizing data about the web and BECAUSE OF THE WAY WE CONSUME WEB ON
DESKTOP.

Both areas are important as they indicate obliquely why mobile ads
only obtain 20% of potential mobile ad revenue out there. The whole
Nokia Symbian Series 60 innovation was put the web browser on the
phone and mobile consumption of web should happen the same way as it
does for desktop.

But we are finding out that is not the case:

1. What we intent to do as far as signals is far lower and we have
more past what we intend do actions on mobile.

2. We are consuming more services, social included, than plain web.

The obvious start-up question to ask is what would a social network
based on mobile look like and behave? I am not talking about a
pretend one where we do the desktop version first than mobile, I am
talking exclusive..mobile only.

Would we have to resort to structuring and organizing all the services
and social graph signals in order to increase mobile ad revenue or
would we get enough signals through a new social graph to use as an ad
signal?

Chicago is known as the marketing town of the US. Why is no start-up
person in Chicago talking about this? We have some very smart
marketing minds here that are missing this..is this missing of this
area a start-up opportunity?

--
Fred Grott
Android Developer