Workshop announcements, School Rentals, Festivals & More

House of Musical Traditions

Aug 20, 2022, 1:33:58 PM8/20/22
to House of Musical Traditions
Greetings from HMT! Lots to tell you about workshops, school instrument rentals, festivals and more:

We're continuing to get lots of great new and used inventory in! Check out our Used Instruments page frequently to see all the recent additions. We also have a very special offering of a vintage 5-octave set of Whitechapel Handbells, made in the original UK factory! Featured new items include a big selection of Eastman guitars & mandolins, Breedlove ECO guitars (enjoy instant rebate discounts through the end of September), and Sheeran By Lowden guitars.

We also want to make a special announcement about Troublesome Creek guitars & mandolins, which we recently started carrying. These instruments are handmade in Hindman, KY. The company employs and trains people in the local community who are in recovery from addiction, and they have been changing lives with this mission. Unfortunately, their shop was completely destroyed by the recent floods in the area. We encourage you to check out their Gofundme campaign, as well as our selection of Troublesome Creek instruments at the shop. Sales of these instruments will help support their recovery.

School of Musical Traditions has just announced lots of great workshops and group classes coming up! Visit their website for full info and registration, or click on the individual links below. Also, stay tuned for an exciting announcement about an expansion of the SMT lessons space in Takoma Park!

- Free Bluegrass Jam: every other Thursday from 7-9 in Rockville. Next jams 8/25 & 9/8
- SMT Student Open Mic 8/21: come support our student performances! Held on the Stage of Musical Traditions outside HMT, 3-5pm.
- Blue Arpeggios for Ukulele w/Lil Rev, 8/29 in Rockville
- Beginner Guitar w/Noah Gitlis starts 9/14 in Takoma Park
- Bodhran Classes w/Scott Morrison start 9/24 in Takoma Park - Beginner and Intermediate levels offered
- Learn To Sing w/Nick Cameron starts 10/5 in Takoma Park
- Songwriter's Circle w/Chris Ousley starts 10/9 in Takoma Park
- Swing Uke n' Guitar w/Chris Ousley starts 10/9 in Takoma Park
- Live Looping Workshop w/Jeff Miller 10/16 in Takoma Park
- Adult Old-Time String Band w/Jonathan Vocke starts 11/17 in Takoma Park

It's Back To School time! Need to rent an instrument for your child's band or orchestra program? Our 2-month trial period special is back in effect. Most instruments rent for only $15 for the first 2 months, with low monthly rates thereafter. Return anytime, or rent-to-own. Complete your rental online here, and pick up in-store or choose ship-to-home. We also carry the accessories and books your child needs.

The Maryland Renaissance Festival begins August 27! Come visit our booth if you're attending. The festival runs weekends through 10/23. Tickets can ONLY be purchased online at http://rennfest.com; advance purchase is recommended.

The Takoma Park Folk Festival is also returning in-person: September 11th at the Takoma Park Middle School! Get info here. The HMT booth will be at this fest as well. TPFF is also still looking for volunteers.

Finally, the Institute of Musical Traditions concert series returns in September! Visit imtfolk.org for tickets and information on these upcoming shows:
- 9/1 Carol Anne Bosco & Griefcat (St Mark Presbyterian, Rockville)
- 9/13 Karan Casey Trio and The Alt (St Mark Presbyterian, Rockville)
- 9/16 & 17 Evolución Flamenco music & dance (Roda Studio, Takoma Park)
- 9/30 Derek Gripper & Quiet the Mountain (Seekers Church, Takoma DC)
- 10/10 John Jorgenson (info TBA)

House of Musical Traditions
7010 Westmoreland Ave, Takoma Park MD 20912
Follow us on FacebookTwitter & Instagram