New workshops & outdoor open mic in Olney!

House of Musical Traditions

Sep 2, 2021, 1:24:17 PM9/2/21
to House of Musical Traditions
Greetings from House of Musical Traditions!

School of Musical Traditions has just announced several new workshops and group classes for the fall! Some are online (on Zoom) and some are in person at our Takoma Park studio, with masking required. Follow each link for more information and online registration:

- Intermediate Bodhran Class with Scott Morrison: Saturdays, September 18 - October 9, 11am-12pm. Held outside HMT in Takoma Park, or online if weather does not permit.

- Bluegrass Youth Jam with Justin Heath: Saturdays, September 25 - October 19th, 12:30-1:30pm, at SMT's Takoma Park studio. Ages 12-18, guitar, banjo & mandolin.

- *ONLINE* Intro to Melodic-Style Banjo w/Ira Gitlin: Sunday, October 10, 1-3pm EST.

- *ONLINE* Beginner 2 Ukulele: Learn More Strumming Patterns with Maureen Andary: Saturdays, October 23rd - November 20, 10-11am EST.

- *ONLINE* Intermediate Ukulele: Classic Rock & Pop with Maureen Andary: Saturdays, October 23 - November 20, 11am-12pm EST.

- Flatpicking Guitar with Justin Heath: Saturdays, October 23rd - November 13th, 12:30-1:30pm, at SMT's Takoma Park studio.

- Introductory Taiko Workshops w/Mark H Rooney: Saturday October 23, 5-8pm AND Sunday December 5, 5-8pm. Held at Dance Exchange in Takoma Park, MD.

- *ONLINE* Bluegrass Banjo Improvisation with Ira Gitlin: Mondays, October 25 - November 15, 7-8pm EST.

Voting is now open in the Washington DC City Paper Best of DC! We have won "Best Place To Buy Instruments" for the last 5 years and would love to continue the streak. It's easy to vote: Go to this link, scroll to Best Place To Buy Instruments (under the "Goods" category) and click the Vote button next to House of Musical Traditions. You may be asked to enter your email address if it's the first time you're voting. Thanks for your support! Voting is open through 9/19/21.

Our fall special for school band & orchestra rental instruments is back in effect! Instruments rent for as low as $15 for the first 2 months, with low monthly rates thereafter. Return any time, or rent to own. You can do your rental online and either pick up at our store or have it shipped to your home - get started here. We also have cleaning supplies, accessories and music books in stock.

New open mic!
Our sister non-profit Institute of Musical Traditions has partnered with the Sandy Spring Museum in Olney, MD to sponsor a new weekly in-person outdoor open mic! It will be on Tuesday evenings from 7-9:30pm, beginning September 7th (with featured artist Tom Prasada-Rao!). Sandy Spring Museum has a lovely outdoor courtyard space, and performers of all ages, abilities & genres will be welcomed. Hosted by rob Hinkal and Rowan Corbett of ilyAIMY (formerly both of HMT as well!). Please read the event description here for more detailed information; pre-registration is required for both performers and audience (in case of rain, the event moves indoors with limited capacity). You can also follow the Rob's Open Mics page for updates.

We are open regular hours this holiday weekend: Saturday 11-7, Sunday & Monday 11-5. The Maryland Renaissance Festival is also open Saturday, Sunday and Labor Day Monday! We had a great first weekend and are looking forward to the rest of the season. Remember to purchase your tickets online in advance. You can see some of the items we're featuring out of the booth here!

House of Musical Traditions
7010 Westmoreland Ave, Takoma Park MD 20912
Follow us on FacebookTwitter & Instagram