CLASSIC Act

Warren Ellis

May 10, 2018, 2:44:16 AM5/10/18
to HMS Overflow
https://abovethelaw.com/2018/05/will-music-modernization-copyright-bills-extend-copyright-term-up-to-144-years/

Jesus this is insane! 1444 year long copyrights on music!

You guys might find this post that analyzes the bill to be interesting: https://forums.spacebattles.com/posts/46836361/

Johan Larson

May 10, 2018, 7:36:27 AM5/10/18
to HMS Overflow
It's a bit weird that anyone is still pushing for longer copyright terms. I mean, really, how much IP can there be out there that's still making money 95 years after publication?

Johnny1A

May 21, 2018, 10:34:23 PM5/21/18
to HMS Overflow
I'm not sure how much of this is driven by money and how much is just instinctive craving for control.

But a lot of it is money.  The analysis in the linked thread is telling, and almost certainly on-target:

... What surprises me is that it got this far without Disney's lawyers looking at it and sending it back to the Legislature with a little note saying "The Mouse Does Not Approve." Probably figure they can keep distributing their own stuff, and thus never get dragged into government control. Because they're goddamn Disney.

That's probably about right.  Increasingly, it's hard-to-impossible to decide where the government ends and the major corporate entities begin, or vice versa.  From the POV of the big music and entertainment companies, effective government control over sales and use of the product is fine, because they have the lobbyists and lawyers and personal connections to Congress and the regulatory groups to make sure that government power is used in their interest.  In effect, it's an effort to rewrite the in the service of the goal of 'big business owns everything'.