Privacy and legibility...

Johnny1A

Sep 17, 2017, 1:31:40 AM9/17/17
to HMS Overflow
I've droned on at length about why I consider the Internet to be inherently insecure, reasons involving IT industry culture, financial incentives, and other.  This is related to that, but not entirely congruent with it.

Megan McArdle wrote an article on the recent Equifax data breach, and touches on the a general subject that is increasingly urgent for modern society.  The way it's traditionally expressed is 'freedom vs. security', and that dichotomy is real enough, though in reality that's way oversimplified.  Today's issue is more nearly 'security vs. convenience', or 'privacy vs. convenience'.