s-CJS models

Tim Lyons

Jul 16, 2024, 11:31:54 AM (11 days ago) Jul 16
to hmecology: Hierarchical Modeling in Ecology
Hi folks,

This is probably a dumb question, but in a spatial CJS, does it deal with both permanent emigration and temporary movement off the study area?

I'm trying to analyze a data set using s-CJS and it's not going so well. I'm trying to estimate monthly survival from structured resighting surveys and I think the issues arise because there is a mix of individuals that stay in the study area, and are somewhat frequently resighted, those that seem to move in and out and are only sometimes available for detection, and individuals who permanently disperse. I'm thinking that the issue is estimating a single variance for the dispersal parameters for all three groups is not working.

Thanks,

Tim

Jeffrey Royle

Jul 16, 2024, 12:26:00 PM (11 days ago) Jul 16
to Tim Lyons, hmecology: Hierarchical Modeling in Ecology
hi Tim,
 This depends entirely on how you parameterize the spatial structure here. If you do as in spatial capture-recapture and have a home range centroid which connects individual movements, then this would allow for temporary emigration where individuals may or may not be available during any sample periods.  If you let the activity center disappear or move away from the sampled area then you can accommodate permanent emigration as well.
  I'm curious about the specific model you're considering....
regards
andy

--
*** Three hierarchical modeling email lists ***
(1) unmarked: for questions specific to the R package unmarked