Accounting for "redirect" money transfer

jota

Feb 1, 2023, 7:03:21 AM2/1/23
to hledger
Could you please share your experience/suggestions on how to deal with a money flow where you  act as an intermediate only.

Here's what actualy happened:

1. money transfer to my bank account;
2. bank transfer from my bank account to my wife's bank account (as it was her loan/money).

Now, I understand I need to credit my bank account, but what account should I debit? It's not a expense?

I can not post the transaction as a transfer between our bank accounts, because then my wife's account would be considered as my asset.

Thank you for you feedback.

Francesco Ariis

Feb 1, 2023, 7:16:49 AM2/1/23
to hle...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jose,

Il 01 febbraio 2023 alle 04:03 jota ha scritto:
> Here's what actualy happened:
>
> 1. money transfer to my bank account;
> 2. bank transfer from my bank account to my wife's bank account (as it was
> her loan/money).
>
> Now, I understand I need to credit my bank account, but what account should
> I debit? It's not a expense?

You are correct, this is not an expense.

2023/02/01 Money transfer
Assets:Bank EUR 100
Liabilities:Current:Wife

In English: you received some amount of money and at the same time you are
in debt with your wife for the same amount.
When you transfer the money to her

2023/02/10 Money transfer
Assets:Bank EUR -100
Liabilities:Current:Wife