RFC: add auto postings only to forecasted transactions [by default] ?

Simon Michael

Apr 27, 2023, 1:43:28 PM4/27/23
to hledger
G'day all.

I solved a glitch in my Emacs/hledger setup today: I discovered that flycheck-hledger always runs with --auto, and I had recently started using an auto posting rule (=) to modify forecasted transactions (~). But it was modifying ordinary past transactions as well, generating redundant postings.

As it happens I was thinking that auto posting rules should be applied only to --forecast transactions (by default). At least in my usage, they are best used for generating new entries, not for modifying existing entries which ideally are already complete and finalised.

How would that be ?

Simon Michael (sm)

May 2, 2023, 11:48:17 PM5/2/23
to hledger
For the record: I committed this with #2027, but reverted it when I found someone whose workflow it would break. Instead: you can implement it on a per-rule basis by adding `tag:_generated` to the auto posting rule's query.