This Week In Hledger 2024-02-08

Simon Michael

Feb 9, 2024, 8:19:10 PMFeb 9
to hledger

This Week In Hledger 2024-02-08

sm
I worked on refactoring and debugging the budget report for https://github.com/simonmichael/hledger/issues/2071 .
Also, tweaked close tags, docs, and added to the PTA FAQ: https://plaintextaccounting.org/FAQ#where-are-debits-and-credits-why-are-some-balances-negative .
I shared this time report that I like:

# what happened (this week by default ?) Show simplified time categories, largest first, grouping some similar subaccounts together.
@twhat *ARGS:
    hledger -f "$TIMELOG" bal -b thisweek -e tomorrow -WATS -2 --alias '/.*:(res|adm|it)\b/=_:\1' "$@"

Robert Nielsen
In this week's post, I share my R program for generating random ledger/hledger transactions. Useful if you want to have some dummy transactions for showing how some feature of hledger works without having to use real data. https://hledgerfan.com/the-code-to-generate-random-hledger-transactions

Matrix chat
CSV conversion, bookkeeping situations, mixing balances and changes in a report, include vs -f, tracking saving goals, amazon prime fees, paisa..

Mail list
Foreign currency accounting, adding custom tags with close, multiple postings vs multiple transactions..

Reddit

  • Need help with tracking a goal
  • Exporting Paisa interactive visualizations
  • [hledger] How do I get a specific tag column in register report
  • Do you guys enter every transaction manually
  • Thoughts on Beancount and PTA
  • Is it possible to track mileage/mpg with ledger?
  • Can I use ledger for time tracking and conversion from hours to USD?

Mastodon
..crickets..

Misc

Zegnat fixed line breaks in error messages displayed in hledger-web, making them much clearer: https://github.com/simonmichael/hledger/pull/2163

reesmichael1 made ssv: and tsv: work as file path prefixes, like csv:https://github.com/simonmichael/hledger/pull/2165

jmtd made a dark theme for hledger-ui, testers welcome: https://github.com/simonmichael/hledger/pull/2167

brplot is a fast plotting tool for command line or wasm: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=39319191

Quotes

If you know how to get your transactions downloaded from your bank and don't ever want to leave the command line, hledger is great for you -- I've been using hledger since 2019 and love every minute of it.

Share your hledger/PTA user notes, dev news, achievements or experiences in the hledger matrix chatevery Friday morning or any time, tagged with TWIH:.