Time, prioritising, AI assistance

16 views
Skip to first unread message

Simon Michael

unread,
Sep 18, 2026, 2:49:23 PMSep 18
to hle...@googlegroups.com
Reposting here on the mail list, where I thought I was replying! (From PR #2735)

Arthur Cinader wrote:
I think it is ready to go, but I'd like to get a set of eyes on it before we waste Simon's time, partcularly because I am taking a different approach than what he had in mind, so I could use some puch back :).


You two never waste my time. ❤️

But it does take a fair bit of brain space to digest all this and give an opinion, and there's lots to do. I hope to try both/all PRs out soon, certainly before the next preview release.

Slightly related: we are in the last two weeks of the 6 month AI credit provided by Anthropic. After this I plan to tap the brakes on AI assistance, at least for a bit, to reflect and digest. 

So this week and next, I feel a little bit of pressure to spend my hacking time on my list of tasks where AI would be particularly helpful. (More ideas welcome, by the way.) I know one of those tasks could be "help review the open PRs". I did a little of that, which informed my first response. But of course I don't want to be an AI maxxer.

Right now, the more time I spend doing AI-assisted dev, the more features (tested, high quality features) pour in. I'm getting things I wished for for many years. Also, they start to feel a bit less consequential, less valuable..

All this is very weird, isn't it.

Arthur Cinader

unread,
Sep 18, 2026, 2:52:33 PMSep 18
to hledger

Slightly related: we are in the last two weeks of the 6-month AI credit provided by Anthropic. After this, I plan to tap the brakes on AI assistance, at least for a bit, to reflect and digest.

 

Simon, I will happily cover your Anthropic subscription when the promotion is over. I will petition them to extend it for you, but if they won't, I'll increase my sponsorship to cover it. Well worth the money.


heldger2 is an ideal tool for agents to use for accounting. My codex project uses hledger1.99 to obtain, categorize, and book all of my transactions. I use hledger-web for review and reporting during accounting sessions. It's amazing. I haven't fully fleshed out lot-level tracking, asset allocation, and performance reporting, or what the gap is for hledger-web yet, so there's a lot to do.


Along those lines, my follow-on to translations would be to add skills to help a first-time translator use an agent to prepare a translation.

#2006 would be another super high value add that I'd like to get to.


Working without a coding agent would be like trying to code without online documentation(!), Google, or Stack Overflow. 


You could, but why?

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages